Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

08 Webbing knowledge

37th

Can anyone tell me was the 08 pat. webbing the same for Brits and Aussies during 14-18. Now i know these had ' brass' ends and also carried the same equipment but was the design the same.

There was no difference.

The Aussies developed the P15 leather webbing, but it was a failure. It was almoste never used at the western front. The leather was too weak.

So...

They used the same P08 webbing.

The Aussies developed the P15 leather webbing, but it was a failure. It was almoste never used at the western front. The leather was too weak.

That is not entirely true; it was in extensive use on the Somme in 1916. Indeed, I have found many items of it around Pozieres and Mouquet Farm. And I know of several complete sets that have been found in roadworks in this area. Considering you think it "weak" it survives in excellent condition after 85+ years in the ground!

Hi

According to the book "Saddle Up" by Rick Landers there appears to be little difference between the 08 sets used by British and Austrailian troops. However Australia and South Africa copied the 08 in leather, which in Australias case produced the 15 pattern leather equipment. If you want further details of the 15 pattern the above book is reasonable in its coverage... Gareth

Sorry Paul, my fault. Bad choise of words.

I meant Salient.

It was ok for the Somme, i agree on that one

, but it didn't survived the mud in Flanders. It was to weak for that.

We have a set of it in the Passchendaele 1917 museum.

And indeed i am convinced that water "eat" it up. It doesn't look so strong like P 14 leather.

I have also seen snaps of this alternative P15 webbing which had been recovered during excavation but cant find the site to view it again. Having been buried for so long its a wonder how any of it was left intact.

Now i've been looking at some good repro gear for $250 full set....

so if the Aussie gear is the same, my wallet might be prised apart for this lot.

Thanks Paul and others

37th....

It is in such good condition that I gave to an Aussie friend of mine (who made the 'Pozieres' film) the e-tool handle and bayonet frog set which was recovered from Pozieres in the late 1980s and only needed some saddle soap to restore!

I found a complete leather bandolier (including unfired rounds in the pouches) at Pozieres in February this year. It was sitting on the surface in a freshly-ploughed field near OG1. The leather is still supple and in great condition, although the bandolier has been damaged after being run over by the plough. One of my most significant battlefield finds.

I am not a geologist, but it is strange that leather is better preserved in the Somme soil than in flanders. Except when it is under water.

Maybe Aurel can tell us more about the leather found in the salient.

37th,

Not only is there no difference between P08 worn by the British and Australians. It came from the same manufacturers.

Only two companies could provide complete sets; Mills Equipment Company and M. Wright and Sons. These were the two pre War manufacturers of the P08 web. During the war other companies did provide certain other types of equipment items but none could produce some of the more complex items of P08.

Not sure if any true items of P08 were manufactured in Australia. At least one company in Canada produced components (Zephyr Loom and Textile).

Joe Sweeney