Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of "A.W.W.H" Hospital

clive_hughes

While visiting Anglesey recently I called at a village institute, and saw this embroidery item.  It is a linen square, perhaps previously in a frame but now loose.  It has the flags of France, Belgium, Serbia and Japan in the corners, but pride of place goes to the Stars & Stripes and the Union Jack, below a Red Cross symbol.

There are the initials "A.W.W.H"  and date "1915."   I know the USA wasn't in the war in 1915, but I wonder whether the initials might stand for something like "American Womens War Hospital" or something similar?  The folks where I saw it said it had no history that they knew of, and they would welcome any information.  It's just possible a local casualty might have been treated at this place, or a local nurse served there.

(Apologies for the picture quality - best I could do on the day) 

Clive

P1110944.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Clive,

See Aled's post No. 2 in this old thread here 

the photo below is from Flicker

American Women's War Relief Hospital, Oldway, Paignton, Devon - 1914

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr
Trying to combat the new system which is too clever for its own good

Just down the road from me. Still retains some of it's original glory. Belonged to the Singer family (of sewing machine fame) at one time.

Thank you both very much for that useful information - I'll let the curator know where the piece originated!  

Clive

Dai,

it's in the Pritchard-Jones Institute at Newborough.  

• 2 months later...

My Grandfather spent some time there after he was wounded (on 24th April 1917). I have, somewhere, some of his photos which show him in a bed outside what I see from this thread must have been one of the large bays at the sides of the building.

Thanks SJW.  The embroidery may well have been done as a rehabilitation activity by recovering casualties.

Clive

• 7 months later...

It's been a while since I posted on this thread, but I have scanned the page from my granddad's photo album which has photos taken of him and, perhaps favourite nurses, at the American Women's War Hospital in Paignton in 1917. Also in his album is a postcard showing the same image of the hospital as posted at 2 above, plus a couple of other different ones as well. If any one is interested in those let me know and I'll scan them too.

EDMW May to Sept 1917 copy.png