Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Markings on Rear Sight Guard on SMLE

CoreyPilon

Hello all. I was hopping someone might hav the answer i seek. I have come across a rear sight guard from an SMLE With some markings i'm not sure of. I have attached pictures of both ears the left and right. Hope someone has the answer. Thank you

Corey.

post-123355-0-99366700-1465768769_thumb.

post-123355-0-39260800-1465769387_thumb.

The broad arrow and inspection stamp on the second picture are standard inspection/acceptance stamps

EM Co is Erebus Manufacturing Company Ltd (Willenhall Staffs) who was a subcontractor producing these parts as part of the "Peddled Scheme" and as spares

Chris

Thank you Chris. I thought it was a subcontractor but wasn't sure of the name. Just to further the question where are or were Erebus Manufacturing Company Ltd. Located? And what years did they make parts for the SMLE?

Hello all. I was hopping someone might hav the answer i seek. I have come across a rear sight guard from an SMLE With some markings i'm not sure of. I have attached pictures of both ears the left and right. Hope someone has the answer. Thank you

Corey.

Corey,

Just to add a little to what Chris has already said, the ' B ' at the bottom of the inspection mark shows that the inspection was carried out in Birmingham, and with the part being made in Staffordshire, that would be the nearest inspector's office.

There was an address at Albion Road, Willenhall, Staffordshire for Erebus Ltd.

Regards,

LF

And what years did they make parts for the SMLE?

I cannot answer this definitively but I think they were wartime contractors, I don't know what their main business was. They do not, as far as I can see, appear on the WWII lists of contractors for the 1940- "Dispersal" production of SMLEs after the bombing of the main plant, so I should think 1915-19 would cover the years.

An educated guess only!

Chris

I cannot answer this definitively but I think they were wartime contractors, I don't know what their main business was.

Chris,

They were Master Locksmiths by trade.

Regards,

LF

Chris, from the markings shown on the sight guard, I would also be thinking a WW1 date (the early type Birmingham Crown and BSA inspection mark)

Also no Contractor code stamped on the component, which would immediately identify it as being of WW2 production. So I do agree with your guess.!

Cheers, S>S

Another (semi-educated!) guess. My understanding was that the Italic / script 'B' was only used up to and around WW1. I could very well be wrong, and SS ( :thumbsup:) at least will correct me on that if nobody else does! The lack of contractor code marks would only mean / imply / suggest it was made before 1941/42 when codes were introduced...

Another (semi-educated!) guess. My understanding was that the Italic / script 'B' was only used up to and around WW1. I could very well be wrong, and SS ( :thumbsup:) at least will correct me on that if nobody else does! The lack of contractor code marks would only mean / imply / suggest it was made before 1941/42 when codes were introduced...

Trajan,

Erebus appear to have been in business from 1906 to 1962, so their dates are not helpful.

Regards,

LF

Thank you all for your great information. I have what i asked for and greatfully more. Thank you!