Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guest Cosmodog

Guest Cosmodog

My father Edward Thomas WARD joined RAF in April 1918 as a carpenter, transferred to France Aug 1918. He lost 2 fingers in an accident and I would love to know how to access medical records regarding this. Any suggestions please?

My father Edward Thomas WARD joined RAF in April 1918 as a carpenter, transferred to France Aug 1918. He lost 2 fingers in an accident and I would love to know how to access medical records regarding this. Any suggestions please?

I'm not sure if anything in-depth survives - Find My Past have his service record.

#160038 Ward - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fair79%2f1440%2f00053&parentid=gbm%2fair79%2f398107

Craig

RAF Museum. Also TNA WO 339 file (if it exists) would detail Medical Boards.

I have the book of the history of 115 Sqdn and although the chapter on WW1 is only 2 pages it

refers to an accident on 8th November 1918 when a bomb exploded on the ground. 10 mechanics

were killed- see The Sky Their Battlefield by Trevor Henshaw-and 11 injured. Maybe your father

was injured in this accident,

Regards Geoff

• 2 years later...

The WO 339 file is the officers Army record

However, he wasn't an officer so all the details will be in the AIR 79 (enlisted men record) referenced above, available via Findmypast

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:37, Sue Casey said:

Very belated thanks to all who answered. Quemerford mentioned TNA WO 339 file. What is that? can I access it from Australia? 

TNA = The National Archives.   See below.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Sue,

115 Sqdn was formed on 1/12/1917 at Catterick in Yorkshire, but took a long to work up to operational

readiness. It was part of the Independant Air Force under Major General Sir Hugh Trenchard, and was

a heavy bomber unit flying the huge Handley Page 0/400 aircraft. The Sqdn was sent to France, and eventually

arrived at Roville aux Chenes in North Eastern France on 1/9/1918. They carried out 15 successful bombing

raids ending on 5/6 th November. The explosion presumably occured on the night of 8/9th November as the

mechanics were loading the bombs. As stated earlier 10 mechanics were killed, and 11 injured, the dead

are buried in Charmes Forest Cemetery. The explosion destroyed the hanger and the other aircraft inside it.

You may get more information from the War Diary at The National Archives under the AIR/79 files as already

suggested, but the mechanics who were injured may not be named

Regards

Geoff