Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Allison 7th KOSB

Alan24

I have this postcard sent from France on 22 Aug 1915 from a chap called Leonard to his sister - Miss A Allison. There is a reference to the sister 'making boots for soldiers'. The address sent to is in Leeds.

The only Leonard Allison in the 1914/15 medal rolls is 16241 of the 7th KOSB.

Luckily this man's service record survives and it's quite detailed too. He was married in Leeds and resident there upon demobilization, so far so good.

A Lincolnshire man who moved to Dumbarton in 1913 to take up a position as apprentice saw miller and joined a Scottish regiment in Sept. 1914.

Army records show his full name as Edward Leonard Allison, also shown in FreeBMD and Census returns.

The problem is I cannot connect him to a sister 'Miss A.' The only sister I can find who would have been old enough to make boots is Phyllis Maude, however I'm torn as to the signature..does it match his attestation papers...I can't decide.

Also, I assume KSOB was not a 'kilted' regiment? Just been reading in Lyn McDonald's Somme about Englishmen in kilted regiments. Am I right in thinking only the Highland regiments were kilted?

Alan,

post-102890-0-07398700-1465388230_thumb.

post-102890-0-57852900-1465388230_thumb.

post-102890-0-94706200-1465388230_thumb.

are you assuming its his sister because of surname only? could equally be cousin, another relative or a coincidence

What's the address in Leeds? That would be a big help.

Also,does he describe her as his sister in the letter?

Posting the postcard with the writing would help

Regards Ray

Posting the postcard with the writing would help

Regards Ray

I agree, context is important.

Craig

Guys, Here's more info.

The card starts "Dear Sister..."

Address;

2 Williamsons Buildings

Dewsbury Road

Leeds

Yorkshire

England.

My first assumption is that his name is Leonard Allison...a leap of faith, I know!

My next step was to assume that he must be on the 1914/15 star medal rolls. Field Post Office, no stamp and England in the address convinces me that it was sent from overseas.

Final proof would be that they would appear together on the 1901 or 1911 census...that's where it went wrong.

Regards

Alan.

post-102890-0-62129500-1465449351_thumb.

One "flaw" with the census is that if the person was staying at another address on census day if can be tricky to tie them down.

I think assuming it's Leonard Allison is fair but who is this Graham?

Indeed who is A Graham? A dealer or collector from the past perhaps?

Bad luck for them to be apart in both 01 and 11 census.

Next step is to find the parents, Edna and Colin, I think, in 1911 and see how many children were born in the marriage to see if any unaccounted.

Edward Leonard is a servant in Horncastle, Lincs. In 1911 before moving to Dumbarton to become a saw

miller.

Alan.

The Allison family are at that address in 1911. There is an Alice and an Annie, unless one had died before 1915? Annie is more likely as she would have been 14/15 when the letter was written.

He's probably Leonard Pickett, aged 16, (stepson crossed out/boarder). It looks like his mother, Sarah, had married William Allison when he was two years old. FMP - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbc%2f1911%2frg14%2f27148%2f0773&parentid=gbc%2f1911%2frg14%2f27148%2f0773%2f7&highlights=%22%22

He was 64440 Sjt Leonard Pickett MM & Bar, D/87th Bde. RFA, (to France 20/7/1915). The 1918 absent voters confirms it http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=bl%2fer%2fd6%2ffmp000007026%2f0042&parentid=bl%2fer%2fd6%2ffmp000007026%2f0042&highlights=%22%22

looks like our resident sleauth IPT has cracked it once again

The family also can be found on the 1901 census at No 6 Williamson Buildings

Leonard shown as the stepson of William Allison son of Sarah

regards Ray

post-45309-0-56504300-1465472113_thumb.j

I belive this is Leonards marriage record

Father shown as James (deceased)

IPT, That's a cracking job you've done there.

Thanks also to Ray for the additional info.

I'm still learning, assumed the name and went straight for the military records. Should have concentrated on the cenus.

That's a great pic of Williamsons Buildings.

Been searching for a similar pic of 22 Livingstone Terrace, Leeds, off the Roundhay Road, where my grandfather was born in 1912. Can only find Livingstone Place which is the next road over. The site is now the car park of the Technical College.

Regards

Alan.