Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

99 years ago today. Tanks at Messines.

chrislock

99 years ago today, British tanks were deployed within the Ypres Salient for the first time during the most successful June 1917 Battle of Messines.

British tanks from A & B Battalions Tank Corps, offered valuable armoured support whenever requested.

Seventy-two of the new Mark IV tanks had arrived in May and were hidden south-west of Ypres before being deployed from the commencement of battle. *Source Messines museum.

Their dead today lay mostly in the many cemeteries located along the ridge and those who have 'No Known Grave' are commemorated by name on the Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing and the TANK MEMORIAL YPRES SALIENT.

Others who passed away later due to wounds received during this battle are buried and remembered elsewhere.

A further commemoration plaque on behalf of the TANK CORPS proudly stands in St George's Memorial Church, Ypres.

This evening at 6pm & 8pm, the TMYS & it's Friends organisation will commemorate all personnel of the Tank Corps but remembers especially those who fought and fell within the Ypres Salient during WW1.

They feared naught!

Evening Chris and Norman.

May i ask, Do either of you know if there are any plans to commemorate the centenary of the Battle of Messines?

If so, what is going to be happening, including the first use of Tanks on the Salient.

Thanks in advance Pals.

Regards Gary.

Gary I would assume that there will be a commemoration and I reckon Chris Lock is your best source for info so perhaps a PM will be in order. Given the situation relating to the Somme commemorations early notification of those to be held in Flanders would be helpful

Norman

• 1 month later...

Thank you Norman and likewise Gary.

Please forgive the belated response but in answer to your questions.

The TANK MEMORIAL YPRES SALIENT has it's own 100 years commemorations. Please see here; www.tankmemorial.vpweb.co.uk  

The ROYAL TANK REGIMENT will be holding it's own 100 years commemorations but whether this includes Ypres Salient commemorations including Messines I am not sure. You could try contacting the Regimental Secretary at Stanley Barracks, Bovington.

Messines is indeed holding their own commemorations as are ANZAC representatives without doubt but if you contact the Mayors office, Messines I am sure all will be forthcoming. 

Hope OK.

Chris

Thanks for your helpful reply Chris.

Will keep an eye on what maybe being organized. I know it's a while to go yet.

Cheers all.