Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ZERO HOUR 100 Years on: Views from the Parapet of the Somme

Jolyon Fenwick

Dear all,

Sorry to disturb you with this but I thought you might be interested that I am holding an exhibition (THE ZERO HOUR PANORAMAS 100 Years On: Views from the Parapet of the Somme) at the Sladmore Contemporary Gallery in Bruton Place, London from the 1-15 July. The 14 panoramas in the exhibition were taken at the exact position (and time) from which 14 battalions attacked in the first wave on 1st July 1916. In the manner of the battlefield panoramas of the time, they are annotated by hand with the points of tactical significance (invariably christened by the British soldiers themselves of course) as they existed immediately before the battle.

I would be delighted if any of the forums members would like to come along. In the meantime, the panoramas can be seen at www.jolyonfenwick.com.

My book ZERO HOUR 100 Years on: Views from the Parapet of the Somme is available from Amazon.

With best wishes,

Jolyon Fenwick

post-122193-0-96778500-1465282278_thumb.

These are absolutely STUNNING, and I am fantastically jealous!

Beautiful, beautiful photographs, elegantly annotated. The misty, soft morning light is just fabulous

Very best wishes with the exhibition, and with the book.

Toby

Very impressive. Good luck with the exhibition and book

My daughter did her dissertation on the 2nd Berkshires so very tempted to reserve one of the number 10 prints

David

Jolyon, these are magnificent. As the worst battlefield photographer in the visible universe (sloping mine crater ponds a specialty) I like to think I can recognise excellence when I see it. And words of praise like Toby's are worth taking notice of; his work is a bit good too. It might be time to stop spending the pocket money on sweets and comics and save up for a set.

Pete.

Have just got the book. Haven't had time yet to sit down and read it properly but at a first quick browse it looks really, really good

Recommended.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received the book. The pictures really are superb. In this year's crowded field of books on the Somme this is an unusual and powerful volume

David

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

Thanks so very much indeed for all your incredibly kind words - hugely appreciated.

I just thought you might be interested that a limited edition of 500 lithographed exhibition posters (an example of which I have attached here) of the panoramas have now been printed and are available through my website www.jolyonfenwick.com

With many thanks again and all best wishes,

Jolyon

Beaumont Hamel Exhibition Poster.jpg

On 08/06/2016 at 21:49, Paddy 60th said:

Have just got the book. Haven't had time yet to sit down and read it properly but at a first quick browse it looks really, really good

Recommended.

Have just finished reading the book and must say that I haven't enjoyed a book as much since Martin Middlebrook's 'The First Day of the Somme. I read this in 1976 and it

inspired me to make my first visit to the Somme on the 60th anniversary that year.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your kind words Paddy.

Just to say that, as with members of the WFA, I am delighted to offer editions of the ZERO HOUR PANORAMAS Exhibition posters to Great War Forum members for £25 each (usually £36) and £275 for the set (usually £400). Simply email info@jolyonfenwick.com with your address and the details of what you would like and you will receive an immediate return email with the relevant bank details for payment. A signed edition certificate accompanies each purchase.

With many thanks and all best wishes,

Jolyon