The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6169, Mathew MILLER 52nd COY, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Lynn Derriman

6169, Mathew MILLER 52nd COY, Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

My GGGrandfather, Mathew MILLER, who died on 05 July 1916 is listed on the Thiepval Memorial. I have the commemoration certificate from the CWGC site.

I'm looking for a record which shows his date and place of birth, wife, mother and/or father and any other details/photos.

I have tried to look him up in the Kew archives, but failed miserably. Too complicated :blush:

I'd be grateful if anyone could kick me in the right direction please.

Soldiers Effects Records show that his wife's name was Elizabeth.

Looks like she married again in 2nd quarter 1917 to a Richard T. Swift in Wigan.

BillyH.

SDGW show that he was born in Pemberton, Lancs and enlisted in Wigan. He was formerly 19218 Border Regiment.

On the 1911 census, a Mathew Miller, a 25 year old coal miner, was living with wife Elizabeth and their three young chidren, at No.1 New Street, Pemberton.

There is a possible 1911 census for him living at No.1 New Street, Pemberton.

25 year old Coal Miner, born in Pemberton. Elizabeth same age.

Three children, Beatrice aged 4, Alice aged 1+11 months, James aged 11 months.

BillyH.

Many thanks for your replies BillyH and IPT. I must have the wrong record, because he's not my GGGrandfather.

I have a marriage cert which shows my GGGrandfather:

07.08.1905 Matthew Muller (22) bachelor married Sarah Brown (20) spinster in Cape Town, South Africa.

From my research I have gathered that they subsequently had 3 children:

1906 Mary Ann MULLER, 1909 Rebecca Rose MILLER and 1912 Charles Mathew Joseph MILLER

It's tricky, because the name is spelled MULLER in early records and MILLER in later records.

I have a marriage cert which shows that Sarah MULLER (nee Brown) remarried in 1919 and family heresay was that Mathew was KIA in WWI. This is why I grabbed the CWGC record it was the only one that came up on Family Search.

In retrospect, I would have thought that he'd have enlisted with the SAI and perhaps I should ask a researcher to go to the archives in Pretoria to get his military record.

Many thanks for your input.