Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Name That Tune

When I lie awake in the small hours I sometimes wonder what the slow march of the 129th Duke of Connaught's Own Baluchis sounded like. I would like to play it when I visit their memorials in a forgotten corner of a foreign field....or the 39th Garwhal Rifles...or the 14th KGO Ferozepore Sikhs' quick march.

I am interested in establishing the Regimental quick marches (plural) and slow marches (plural) of each Regiment of the British Army in 1914-18.

Some regiments had more than one quick march or slow march (hence the 'plural' ) and many regiments shared the same tune. Fusilier Regiments' quick marches in 1914 were all "The British Grenadier" which made the march past by any Fusilier Brigade a rather crashingly dull event according to all accounts.

In no particular order I am looking for the quick and slow marches of the:

Household Cavalry

Line Cavalry

Yeomanry (this will be challenging)

Foot Guards (I don't believe have changed from Great War to date)

Line Infantry

TF Infantry including each London Regt Battalion (also quite challenging - what was the slow march of the Roughriders? as a starter for ten..)

Any other anomalies such as the Ardeer Company, HAC, Cyclists, OTCs, Buckinghamshire Battalion, Cambridgeshire Regt, etc

Indian Army Cavalry (uuuuber challenging - Deccan Horse? Scinde Horse? Governor's Bodyguard? )

Indian Army Infantry (ditto - 14th KGO's Sikhs? Palamacottah Light Infantry slow march anyone? )

Other Colonials and Dominion Regiments. ( Maori contingent? Zion Mule Corps?)

A plea: No Wikipedia please.

Curious to know if New Army Service battalions had their own (Tyneside Scottish for example: I suspect did not march the "The British Grenadier"). Also looking for hyperlinks to audio samples. To kick this off, here is the finest quick march of them all: The Black Bear (sadly, often mangled with 'Scotland the Brave' as a medley) but here it is 45 seconds into this clip click. being mangled performed by my late father-in law's regiment. Second is 'Scipio' (one of the slow marches of the Grenadier Guards) in my view.

MG

I will collate on a spreadsheet (what else?) periodically if this captures the imagination.

That's quite a challenge - and my imagination is most definitely captured. Would you like some contacts at Kneller Hall?

As for answering your question, the only one that I know off the top of my head is the Wiltshire Yeomanry quick march which is God Bless the POW. But I have no idea if it was their quick march 100 years ago. I will have a dig.

1st KDG is of course the Radetsky March which must come a close second to The Black Bear.

Several of the books that discuss names or badges for the regiments list the marches. I'm at work but will try to post some titles when I get home.

That's quite a challenge - and my imagination is most definitely captured. Would you like some contacts at Kneller Hall?

As for answering your question, the only one that I know off the top of my head is the Wiltshire Yeomanry quick march which is God Bless the POW. But I have no idea if it was their quick march 100 years ago. I will have a dig.

1st KDG is of course the Radetsky March which must come a close second to The Black Bear.

Col D. Thank you.

Wiltshire Yeo. Nice. Slow march? Therein lies a challenge....

Tank Corps? The chapps who went Through Mud and Blood and to the Green Fields Beyond must surely have a fine march

Hy MGC?

MGC?

Please...

The Tank Corps march didn't come into existence until the 1920s.

Good luck with the project...for a starter, the marches of the 18th (County of London) battalion London Regiment the London Irish Rifles - quick march Garryowen, slow march Endearing Young Charms.

And, not all the Fusilier Regiments used The British Grenadiers as a quick march:

The Royal Irish Fusiliers - St Patrick's Day

The Royal Munster Fusiliers - The Boys of Wexford

The Royal Dublin Fusiliers - St Patrick's Day

In addition, on some occasions, two regimental marches might be played - a leftover from the 1881 amalgamations.

FWIW the Royal Tank Corps march is My Boy Willie...

14 (County of London) The London Scottish quick march is Highland Laddie

I'm ashamed to admit I don't know if there is/was a slow march, or what it might be. I'm sure a certain other Forum member will know.

Black Bear is a splendid march, but not (so far as I know) specific to anyone in particular. It is played by Scottish units returning to barracks after a parade (or significant event ...)

Gordon Highlanders - Cock o' the North

11th Hussars slow march -Coburg, a lovely tune.

Black Bear is a splendid march, but not (so far as I know) specific to anyone in particular. It is played by Scottish units returning to barracks after a parade (or significant event ...)

Gordon Highlanders - Cock o' the North

11th Hussars slow march -Coburg, a lovely tune.

The Black Bear is the Regimental Quick March of the regiment I was privileged to serve in so I am intrigued to know if any Great War unit carried its skirl through 1914-18. It includes a crowd-pleasing "huzzah!" in the middle and in my day we were drilled in the timing of when to 'huzzah'. Unsucessfully ( if my 'extras' record is anything to go by). Every dinner night involved the Pipers playing a set and required the Black Bear to be played around the dining room followed by a quaich. Rather like the Kiwis and the Haka, we played the Black Bear at every opportunity to the extent that it was almost devalued. My second day in my regiment was co-hosting an inter-unit piping tournament in Hong Kong at Stanley Fort - a bizarre experience on a number of levels, particularly when seeing for the first time the HK Chinese Institutional Correctional Unit Pipe Band highland dancing in full kilted garb. It was excellent but rather disturbing.

As for Coburg, I agree. The 11H almost uniquely carrying the legacy of its German patronage unashamedly through the Great War. True und Fest. Coburg is indeed a fine tune and stronger for the fact it survived two world wars.

On topic: I suspect the Black Bear was played by some units in the Great War

'The White Lancer'- the regimental quick march of the 17th/21st was inherited from the 17th. Written by the Bandmaster when the Regiment was in Sialkot and adopted prior to the Great War. Horrible tune, which used to (and still does) make me cringe, is better known as Nellie the Elephant. I'm pretty sure that Rienzi, the 17/21 slow march is post 1922.

Thanks to all, and particular thanks to Col D for the reference book. The foot Guards and Line Infantry are below. There are probably a few spelling errors so please feel free to correct. The list was largely based on Wickes' book which has a few pages missing - hence the gaps. He was not entirely clear which were quick or slow marches

The list is interesting and in a few examples exposes the celtic origins of some of the 'English' County regiments. I am trying to establish if the list below reflected the regimental and battalion marches in 1914. Any correctives would be welcome.

Any mistakes are entirely mine. Cavalry and Yeomanry to follow once collated.MG

Grenadier Guards

British Grenadiers

Scipio (slow)

Coldstream Guards

Milanollo

Figaro (slow)

Scots Guards

Hielan Laddie

The Garb of Auld Gaul (slow)

Irish Guards

St Patrick's Day

Let Erin Remember (slow)

Welsh Guards

Rising of the Lark

Men of Harlech (slow?)

The Royal Scots (Lothian Regt)

Dumbarton's Drums

The Daughter of the Regiment

Queen's (R West Surrey Regt)

Braganza

Scipio (slow)

The Buffs (East Kent) Regt

??

King's Own (R Lancaster Regt)

??

Northumberland Fus

The British Grenadiers

Blaydon Races

Royal Warwickshire Regt

The Warwickshire Lads

McBean's March

Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt)

The British Grenadiers

De Normandie

Fighting with the 7th Royal Fusiliers

King's Regt (Liverpool)

The English Rose

Zachmi Dil

Here's to the Maiden of Bashful Fifteen

Kingsman

Norfolk Regt

Rule Britannia

Lincolnshire Regt

The Lincolnshire Poacher

Devonshire Regt

Widdicombe fair

We've Lived and Loved Together

Suffolk Regt

Speed the Plough

Somerset LI

Prince Albert's March

West Yorkshire Regt

Ca Ira

God Bless the Prince of Wales

East Yorkshire Regt

The Yorkshire Lass

The Duke of York

The 15th Von England

Bedfordshire Regt

Mandolinata

Rule Britannia

Mountain Rose

Leicestershire Regt

A Hunting Call

General Monckton (1762)

Romaika

Royal Irish Regt

Garryowen

St Patrick's Day

Yorkshire Regt

The Bonnie English Rose

Lancashire Fusiliers

The British Grenadiers

The Minden March

Royal Scots Fusiliers

The British Grenadiers

Cheshire Regt

The Young May Moon

Come Lasses and Lads

Sambre et Meuse

Wha Wadna Fecht for Charlie

Royal Welsh Fus

The British Grenadiers

Men of Harlech

South Wales Borderers

The Warwickshire Lads

Men of Harlech

King's Own Scottish Borderers

Blue Bonnets Over the Border

Cameronians

Within a Mile of Edinburgh Town

The Gathering of the Grahams (2nd Bn)

Royal Inniskilling Fus

The British Grenadiers

Sprig of Shillelagh (2nd Bn)

Gloucestershire Regt

The Kinnegad Slashers

The Highland Piper

Worcestershire Regt

Hearts of Oak

Rule Britannia

Royal Windsor

Duchess of Kent

The Lincolnshire Poacher (2nd Bn)

East Lancs Regt

The Attack

The Lancashire Lad (2nd Bn)

East Surrey Regt

A Southerly Wind and a Cloudy Sky

A life on the Ocean Wave

Lass o' Gowrie (2nd Bn)

Lord Charles Montague's Huntingdonshire March

DCLI

Trelawney

One and All (2nd Bn)

DOWR

The Wellesley (2nd Bn)

Ilkley Moor

I'm Ninety-five

Border Regt

D'ye Ken John Peel

March of the French 34ieme Regiment de Ligne

The Lass o' Gowrie (2nd Bn)

Come back to Erin (2nd Bn)

Royal Sussex Regt

Royal Sussex

Rousillon

The Lass of Richmond Hill (2nd Bn)

Sussex by the Sea

Hampshire Regt

The Highland Piper

The Farmer's Boy

The Hampshires

We'll Gang Nae Mair to Yon Toun (2nd Bn)

South Staffs

Over the Hills and Far Away

Come Lasses and Lads

The 80th (2nd Bn)

Dorsetshire Regt

The Maid of Glenconnel

The Farmer's Boy

The Dorsetshire (2nd Bn)

South Lancashire Regt

God Bless the Prince of Wales (2nd Bn)

The Lancashire Witches

The South Lancashire Regiment

??

Welsh Regt

Shenkin

Black Watch

Hielan Laddie

Hielan Laddie (2nd Bn)

Ox & Bucks LI

Das Nach Lager von Grenada

The Italian Song

Lower Castle Yard (2nd Bn)

Essex Regt

The Hampshires

Rule Britannia (2nd Bn)

The Essex

Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby)

Young May Moon

I'm Ninety-five (2nd Bn)

The Derby Ram (2nd Bn)

Loyal North Lancs

The Red Red Rose (2nd Bn)

The Mountain Rose

Northamptonshire Regt

The Northamptonshire

Royal Berkshire Regt

The Dashing White Sergeant

The Young May Moon

The Farmer's Boy (2nd Bn)

Queen's Own (RWKR)

A Hundred Pipers

Men of Kent (2nd Bn)

KOYLI

The Jockey of York (2nd Bn)

Jockey to the Fair

KSLI

Old Towler

The Farmer's Boy

Daughter of the Regiment

Middlesex Regt

Sir Manley Power

Lass o' Gowrie

Paddy's Resource (2nd Bn)

Daughter of the Regiment

KRRC

??

Wiltshire Regt

Blue Bonnets Over the Border (2nd Bn)

Point of War (2nd Bn)

Auld Robin Grey (2nd Bn)

Manchester Regt

The Young May Moon

The Manchesters (2nd Bn)

Farewell Manchester

North Staffordshire Regt

Romaika

The Days We Went a-gypsying

York & Lancaster Regt

The York and Lancaster

Durham Light Infantry

The Light Barque

The Old 68th

The Keel Row (2nd Bn)

Highland Light Infantry

Whistles o'er the Lave o't

Seaforth Highlanders

Hielan Laddie

The King's Men (2nd Bn)

Gordon Highlanders

Cock o' the North (2nd Bn)

Hielan Laddie

Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

March of the Cameron Men

Pibroch o' Doniul Dhu

Hielan Laddie

Royal Irish Rifles

St Patrick's Day

Royal Irish Fus

The British Grenadiers

St Patrick's Day

Nora Creina

Garryowen (2nd Bn)

Barossa (2nd Bn)

Connaught Rangers

??

Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Bonnie Mary of Argyll

Hielan Laddie (2nd Bn)

The Campbell March (2nd Bn)

The Thin Red Line (2nd Bn)

Leinster Regiment

Royal Canadians

Come Back to Erin (2nd Bn)

Royal Munster Fus

The Boys of Wexford (2nd Bn)

Royal Dublin Fus

St Patrick's Day

Let Erin Remember (2nd Bn)

Rifle Bde

??

Black Bear is always played by our pipes and drums as we return to 95 at the end of (say) Church Parade. The yells which are part of the performance always elicit applause from the gathered tourists watching 9and recording) the show.

Black Bear is always played by our pipes and drums as we return to 95 at the end of (say) Church Parade. The yells which are part of the performance always elicit applause from the gathered tourists watching 9and recording) the show.

That would be a splendid sight indeed. I assume in full Hodden Grey order.

You Tube has some rather wonderful footage of massed pipes and drums at various tattoos playing the Black Bear.

Interestingly the Black Bear does not appear to have been used by any regiment as its Quick March in 1914-18 although a number of Indian regimets had pipes and drums so there is a chance yet.... A GWF member has PM's me informing me that A Coy of the Royal Scots had the Black Bear as a Company March, which opens up further possibilities.

Hielan' Laddie and Blue Bonnets Over the Border seem to be a crowded space among the Scottish marches. It was intrigued to see the Glaswegian origins of the Wiltshire Regt provide the Regiment with Blue Bonnets as one of its marches.

Martin

You've left the London Scottish off your list. I know they are another Hielan' Laddie formation, but still......

That would be a splendid sight indeed. I assume in full Hodden Grey order.

You Tube has some rather wonderful footage of massed pipes and drums at various tattoos playing the Black Bear.

Interestingly the Black Bear does not appear to have been used by any regiment as its Quick March in 1914-18 although a number of Indian regimets had pipes and drums so there is a chance yet.... A GWF member has PM's me informing me that A Coy of the Royal Scots had the Black Bear as a Company March, which opens up further possibilities.

Hielan' Laddie and Blue Bonnets Over the Border seem to be a crowded space among the Scottish marches. It was intrigued to see the Glaswegian origins of the Wiltshire Regt provide the Regiment with Blue Bonnets as one of its marches.

To quote Shakespeare "Old Men forget" but I seem to remember that each company of 1st Bn Gordon Highlanders had there own quick march with The Black Bear being that of D Company

bill

Martin

You've left the London Scottish off your list. I know they are another Hielan' Laddie formation, but still......

Paul

I am collating the TF Regiments - Monmouthshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Herefordshire, London Regiment, HAC, Cyclists etc separately. The spreadsheet above was for the regulars. It is alos possible that some New Army battalions had their own unique marches (Tyneside Irish, Scots etc). I strongly suspect Liverpool Scots (TF) also marched to a different tune. ..and not forgetting the Channel Island Militias of course.

The 6th Cheshires had "We are the Cheshire boys". It's been discussed before, on at least a couple of occasions, when it was confirmed that other units had local variations of the song. I'm not sure that we ever reached a conclusion as to the tune, although one post suggested it was "Who were you with last Night".

Paul

I am collating the TF Regiments - Monmouthshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Herefordshire, London Regiment, HAC, Cyclists etc separately. The spreadsheet above was for the regulars. It is alos possible that some New Army battalions had their own unique marches (Tyneside Irish, Scots etc). I strongly suspect Liverpool Scots (TF) also marched to a different tune. ..and not forgetting the Channel Island Militias of course.

Ah, sorry, I should have spotted that. Carry on, don't mind me ^_^

KRRC (missing from your list) was "Lutzow's Wild Hunt", also used - pace - by The Sirmoor Rifles.

As has been mentioned, most infantry battalions also had company marches.

Scottish regiments had their Regimental Charge.

Many regiments also had associated traditional marches - the Glosters, for example, always marched on to parade to "Army of the Nile" and always played "The Royal Canadian" at Guest Nights.

KRRC Regimental March is a variant of Weber's Lützow's Wilder Jagd i.e. Lützow's Wild Hunt, also known just as The Wild Hunt

See here

The Slow March is The Duke of York

Enjoyable clips here on the KRRC Association site, but this webpage does not work in Firefox for me, I had to switch to Internet Explorer!

Ha! Apologies SD has beaten me to it!

As regards the Rifle Brigade, the official regimental march is I'm Ninety-Five, but in my head, I also had The Road To The Isles, which is also used by the 60th for the Double March, and Over the Hills and Far Away, the latter probably due to John Tams and the dreaded Sharpe!

• 2 months later...

Gordon Turner, and Alwyn W. Turner in "The History of British Military Bands vol 3: Infantry & Irish : including the King's Division, the Prince of Wales's Division, the Light Division, give the following with regard to The Connaught Rangers; "The official quick march after amalgamation was St Patrick's Day...The 2nd Battalion continued to use it's earlier march, a combination of 'Blue Bonnets" and "Argyle Is My Name"

With regard to the Rifle Brigade they state the following; "The quick march was "I am 95".  Originally a popular music hall song it was arranged by Bandmaster Miller in the 1840's and officially adopted around 1852... Prior to this the regiment had used "Over the Hills and Far Away" and then the "Huntsman's Chorus" from the opera "Die Freischutz".  There was no official slow march so on the occasions when one was needed "I am 95" was played at a slow tempo"

The Royal Munster Fusiliers are noted as having "The British Grenadiers " as the official quick march while also using "St Patrick's Day".  1 R.M.F. is claimed to have adopted "Won't You Come Home to Bom-Bombay" from the turn of the century.

John

On 07/06/2016 at 18:25, QGE said:

Thanks to all, and particular thanks to Col D for the reference book. The foot Guards and Line Infantry are below. There are probably a few spelling errors so please feel free to correct. The list was largely based on Wickes' book which has a few pages missing - hence the gaps. He was not entirely clear which were quick or slow marches

The list is interesting and in a few examples exposes the celtic origins of some of the 'English' County regiments. I am trying to establish if the list below reflected the regimental and battalion marches in 1914. Any correctives would be welcome.

Any mistakes are entirely mine. Cavalry and Yeomanry to follow once collated.MG

Grenadier Guards

British Grenadiers

Scipio (slow)

Coldstream Guards

Milanollo

Figaro (slow)

Scots Guards

Hielan Laddie

Irish Guards

St Patrick's Day

Let Erin Remember (slow)

Welsh Guards

Rising of the Lark

Men of Harlech (slow?)

The Royal Scots (Lothian Regt)

Dumbarton's Drums

The Daughter of the Regiment

Queen's (R West Surrey Regt)

Braganza

Scipio (slow)

The Buffs (East Kent) Regt

??

King's Own (R Lancaster Regt)

??

Northumberland Fus

The British Grenadiers

Blaydon Races

Royal Warwickshire Regt

The Warwickshire Lads

McBean's March

Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regt)

The British Grenadiers

De Normandie

Fighting with the 7th Royal Fusiliers

King's Regt (Liverpool)

The English Rose

Zachmi Dil

Here's to the Maiden of Bashful Fifteen

Kingsman

Norfolk Regt

Rule Britannia

Lincolnshire Regt

The Lincolnshire Poacher

Devonshire Regt

Widdicombe fair

We've Lived and Loved Together

Suffolk Regt

Speed the Plough

Somerset LI

Prince Albert's March

West Yorkshire Regt

Ca Ira

East Yorkshire Regt

The Yorkshire Lass

The Duke of York

The 15th Von England

Bedfordshire Regt

Mandolinata

Rule Britannia

Mountain Rose

Leicestershire Regt

A Hunting Call

General Monckton (1762)

Romaika

Royal Irish Regt

Garryowen

St Patrick's Day

Yorkshire Regt

The Bonnie English Rose

Lancashire Fusiliers

The British Grenadiers

The Minden March

Royal Scots Fusiliers

The British Grenadiers

Cheshire Regt

The Young May Moon

Come Lasses and Lads

Sambre et Meuse

Wha Wadna Fecht for Charlie

Royal Welsh Fus

The British Grenadiers

Men of Harlech

South Wales Borderers

The Warwickshire Lads

Men of Harlech

King's Own Scottish Borderers

Cameronians

Within a Mile of Edinburgh Town

The Gathering of the Grahams (2nd Bn)

Royal Inniskilling Fus

The British Grenadiers

Sprig of Shillelagh (2nd Bn)

Gloucestershire Regt

The Kinnegad Slashers

The Highland Piper

Worcestershire Regt

Hearts of Oak

Rule Britannia

Royal Windsor

Duchess of Kent

East Lancs Regt

The Attack

The Lancashire Lad (2nd Bn)

East Surrey Regt

A Southerly Wind and a Cloudy Sky

A life on the Ocean Wave

Lass o' Gowrie (2nd Bn)

Lord Charles Montague's Huntingdonshire March

DCLI

Trelawney

One and All (2nd Bn)

DOWR

The Wellesley (2nd Bn)

Ilkley Moor

I'm Ninety-five

Border Regt

D'ye Ken John Peel

March of the French 34ieme Regiment de Ligne

The Lass o' Gowrie (2nd Bn)

Come back to Erin (2nd Bn)

Royal Sussex Regt

Royal Sussex

Rousillon

The Lass of Richmond Hill (2nd Bn)

Sussex by the Sea

Hampshire Regt

The Highland Piper

The Farmer's Boy

The Hampshires

We'll Gang Nae Mair to Yon Toun (2nd Bn)

South Staffs

Over the Hills and Far Away

Come Lasses and Lads

The 80th (2nd Bn)

Dorsetshire Regt

The Maid of Glenconnel

The Farmer's Boy

The Dorsetshire (2nd Bn)

South Lancashire Regt

The Lancashire Witches

The South Lancashire Regiment

??

Welsh Regt

Shenkin

Black Watch

Hielan Laddie

Hielan Laddie (2nd Bn)

Ox & Bucks LI

Das Nach Lager von Grenada

The Italian Song

Lower Castle Yard (2nd Bn)

Essex Regt

The Hampshires

Rule Britannia (2nd Bn)

The Essex

Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby)

Young May Moon

I'm Ninety-five (2nd Bn)

The Derby Ram (2nd Bn)

Loyal North Lancs

The Red Red Rose (2nd Bn)

The Mountain Rose

Northamptonshire Regt

The Northamptonshire

Royal Berkshire Regt

The Dashing White Sergeant

The Young May Moon

The Farmer's Boy (2nd Bn)

Queen's Own (RWKR)

A Hundred Pipers

Men of Kent (2nd Bn)

KOYLI

Jockey to the Fair

KSLI

Old Towler

The Farmer's Boy

Daughter of the Regiment

Middlesex Regt

Sir Manley Power

Lass o' Gowrie

Paddy's Resource (2nd Bn)

Daughter of the Regiment

KRRC

??

Wiltshire Regt

Point of War (2nd Bn)

Auld Robin Grey (2nd Bn)

Manchester Regt

The Young May Moon

The Manchesters (2nd Bn)

Farewell Manchester

North Staffordshire Regt

Romaika

The Days We Went a-gypsying

York & Lancaster Regt

The York and Lancaster

Durham Light Infantry

The Light Barque

The Old 68th

The Keel Row (2nd Bn)

Highland Light Infantry

Whistles o'er the Lave o't

Seaforth Highlanders

Hielan Laddie

The King's Men (2nd Bn)

Gordon Highlanders

Cock o' the North (2nd Bn)

Hielan Laddie

Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

March of the Cameron Men

Pibroch o' Doniul Dhu

Hielan Laddie

Royal Irish Rifles

St Patrick's Day

Royal Irish Fus

The British Grenadiers

St Patrick's Day

Nora Creina

Garryowen (2nd Bn)

Barossa (2nd Bn)

Connaught Rangers

??

Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Bonnie Mary of Argyll

Hielan Laddie (2nd Bn)

The Campbell March (2nd Bn)

The Thin Red Line (2nd Bn)

Leinster Regiment

Royal Canadians

Come Back to Erin (2nd Bn)

Royal Munster Fus

The Boys of Wexford (2nd Bn)

Royal Dublin Fus

St Patrick's Day

Let Erin Remember (2nd Bn)

Rifle Bde

??

Royal Irish Rangers - 'Killaloe'.

Lovat Scouts - 'Morair Sim'

p.s.....QCE, I attended the HK Highland Gathering at Fort Stanley on a number of occasions in the late 80s/early 90s.  Sadly, I think the last time it was held was in 1998, one year after the handover. On one occasion (maybe 1989) my father flew out to be the piping judge.  Just trying to recall which regiments, other than the Ghurkas were out here in the 80s/90s and which had Pipes & Drums, the QOH,  2 SG, and the RHR Black Watch.  In fact Maj. Jock Allan (then P/M of the QOH or when he was Director of the Army School of Piping) composed a tune, 'The Hong Kong Highland Gathering'.   There also happened to be a Captain in the 2nd Ghurka Rifles stationed in HK in the late 80s who was a piper. 

On 06/09/2016 at 09:48, Ron Abbott said:

Royal Irish Rangers - 'Killaloe'.

Lovat Scouts - 'Morair Sim'

p.s.....QCE, I attended the HK Highland Gathering at Fort Stanley on a number of occasions in the late 80s/early 90s.  Sadly, I think the last time it was held was in 1998, one year after the handover. On one occasion (maybe 1989) my father flew out to be the piping judge.  Just trying to recall which regiments, other than the Ghurkas were out here in the 80s/90s and which had Pipes & Drums, the QOH,  2 SG, and the RHR Black Watch.  In fact Maj. Jock Allan (then P/M of the QOH or when he was Director of the Army School of Piping) composed a tune, 'The Hong Kong Highland Gathering'. There also happened to be a Captain in the 2nd Ghurka Rifles stationed in HK in the late 80s who was a piper. 

Thanks.

My very first task when serving in Hong Kong was to attend the HK Highland Gathering at Fort Stanley (1988). In those days there were no British units with Pipes and Drums. Coldstream Guards had gone and the DERR were arriving as the single British Battalion. They were followed by the RRW if memory serves. The Black Watch was in HK for the handover in 1997 by which time I was in Singapore and out of the Army. in the 1980s most of the Gurkha Regiments were represented (note spelling) but the one thing that always stuck in my mind were the HK Police and HK Correctional Services Pipes and Drums as well as those from a host of overseas countries. It was a revelation. In my unit the Adjutant was always the Pipe President and dinner nights always included the pipes playing the Black Bear. 

Nowadays the Army List (Pt 1/Pt 2 ? - the one arranged in regimental order) has the regimental march listed at the heading of each regimental entry.

Was it the same in '14-'18 ? If so, it would be a thorough and unimpeachable source.