Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit quandary - please help solve from photo

Chris_Baker

Need a bit of insignia expertise here. This photograph is believed to be that of 298059 John Stow. You will see that he wears the riband of the Military Medal. It was gazetted on 23 July 1919 and the "London Gazette" shows him serving with the 1st Battalion of the London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers).

His entry in the roll of the British War and Victory Medal however shows him serving with the 2nd Battalion of the London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) from August 1918 onwards and makes no mention of 1st Bn.

His service record appears not to exist;I can't find any newspaper mention; he is not named in either war diary or in that of the Adjutant of the 56th Division. So I come to the photo as the only means of confirming his battalion. Does the "battle patch" on his sleeve give us any clues?

post-1-0-80417900-1465207812_thumb.jpg

Any other information/ideas welcome.

Chris,

There is a record available on The Genealogist which has two Battalions, 1/4th Bn London Regt (TF), the 1/4th has been crossed out and replaced with 1st.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I have seen that - it comes from the MM index card. Stow had been with the 1/4th Bn (early 1918) and the 1/9th before that.