Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Cpl Evan Lloyd Morris 6053 2nd Battalion RWF

david murdoch

Can anyone help? I'm looking for a look up in the book.“The War The Infantry Knew” – by Captain JC Dunn about 2nd RWF. There is an entry written about the 22nd June 1916, by a Captain H M Blair, which mentions Lance Corporal Morris. If someone could find this text would be most grateful.

Got his, medal card ect and by his date of death 22/6/1916 know he was killed either in the Red Dragon mine explosion, or in the bombardment or fighting later that day. His name is listed as a casualty in one of the old Red Dragon threads from a few years back.

Thanks in Advance.

• Admin

The whole event takes up a number of pages. Briefly, the incident is recounted by Captain Blair who spoke to L/Cpl Morris just before the mine exploded. Dazed and buried he describes the fighting around him in the darkness as the Germans attacked. At dawn he looks around and notices Cpl Morris wedged against him and evidently in great pain - both his legs were broken. Attempts to rescue them were beaten off. By early afternoon Morris was in great pain an becoming lightheaded. He begged for water and wanted to put his head above the parapet to ' finish things off'. Later he tried to do this and Blair punched him in the stomach ( wind) to stop him. Trapped in their hole they waited for dark and rescue through the long, hot summer day. Eventually a rescue party, from the Cameronians, and a doctor from the RWF reached them. At last they were given water, it took three quarters of an hour to dig out Captain Blair and a further two hours before Morris was carried back to the British lines.

The mine was exploded at two o'clock, the rescuers arrived at 11.30pm so the pair were trapped for nearly twenty four hours without water or treatment.

' The freeing of Morris from that tangle of barbed wire, torn sand bags, pickets angle irons and one of Bayliss legs amidst which he was buried half upright was a long and difficult business. He was helpless and it was found early that his right thigh bone was broken.' One of the covering party was wounded and it was nearly daylight when he was finally evacuated. I can't find a reference to his death but I guess it was shock following his wounds.

The men were in ' B' Company.

Note you're in Brazil but many sellers are selling the book for a penny

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0349106355/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Ken

Ken.

Thanks so much for that. Not happy reading, but brings home the reality!

I notice in the text the leg mentioned belonged to Alfred William Bayliss Pte 31199. He must have been found too as he's also buried at Gorre cemetary.

Best Regards David

• Admin

Capt. Blair notes that when he came to after the initial explosion that, 'The dead body of Private Bayliss was lying close to us and partly to my left side", as he and Morris scraped the hole with their hands and a penknife his body no doubt added further horror to their ordeal. It's also noted that it was so near daylight by the time they got Morris out that Bayliss body had to be left behind. It was presumably recovered later and given proper burial.

Ken

Alfred William Bayliss 31199

Born 1897 Kings Norton Father William Edward mother Alice Ruth 39 Terry Rd Coventry

Enlisted in the RHA RFA 1st May 1915 in Coventry age 19

Hilsea Attested RFA and posted 10-5-15, Gunner in RFA 15th Reserve BTY 13-5-15

Transferred 3rd Batt RWF Salisbury 4-6-15, Posted 2nd Batt RWF 10-10-15

KIA 22-6-16 RDC buried Gorre Britich and Indian Cemetery

Star, B.W.Medal, Victory

post-894-0-98436300-1465225700_thumb.jpg

Very helpful, Grumpy.

Bernard

• 4 months later...
Guest SianLewis
On 5 June 2016 at 22:12, david murdoch said:

Can anyone help? I'm looking for a look up in the book.“The War The Infantry Knew” – by Captain JC Dunn about 2nd RWF. There is an entry written about the 22nd June 1916, by a Captain H M Blair, which mentions Lance Corporal Morris. If someone could find this text would be most grateful.

Got his, medal card ect and by his date of death 22/6/1916 know he was killed either in the Red Dragon mine explosion, or in the bombardment or fighting later that day. His name is listed as a casualty in one of the old Red Dragon threads from a few years back.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi, Evan is my great great uncle. I'd love to speak with you. Sian

On 05/06/2016 at 22:12, david murdoch said:

Thanks in Advance.

Hi...can you help ... we have been given information regarding our Great Uncle .Evan Lloyd Morris I note you are enquiring about him and have details about his medal chart.. My Neice and I are trying to find out anything at all regarding our relative and we would appreciate any help you may have... thanking you. Dilys Egan 

If you tell me what you know, that will help me to isolate the things that I know that you don't know so that I can give you the extra material.

On 05/06/2016 at 23:55, david murdoch said:

Ken.

Thanks so much for that. Not happy reading, but brings home the reality!

I notice in the text the leg mentioned belonged to Alfred William Bayliss Pte 31199. He must have been found too as he's also buried at Gorre cemetary.

Best Regards David

9 minutes ago, Dilys said:

We know where he is buried and we have a picture of the grave and also his name on the entrance of his home church..we would like to know what his medal chart entails , did he manage an award.?

• Admin

The 'medal chart' is in fact the 'medal index card' these can be viewed for free on Ancestry here.

The mic is an index card to the Medal rolls which sometimes have more information but in this cas we know he was in the 2nd Bn.  The card shows he went to France  on the 28 July 1915 and was entitled to the 14-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal.  More information on the medals and the cards are on the parent site the Long Long Trail here.

I recommend you follow the links for 'Researching a soldier' on that site.

The 14-15 Star identifies those who volunteered before conscription was introduced in 1916.  He was in a reinforcement draft to the 2nd Bn., and as noted above Grumpy may have more information on his service.

Ken

Hi All

This is a photo of Evan Lloyd Morris, b.1897  Rhiwlas, public tree on Ancestry

Regards Barry

Android Photo

A bit of info:-When working as a Chargeman's apprentice ( Penrhyn  quarry) fractured his thumb in an unguarded machine on 13th May 1914. aged 16 yrs. 

Edited by The Inspector

Dilys

Welcome/Croeso to the Forum

Ken has explained his campaign medal entitlement on post 13. He was entitled to three medals He did not recceive a gallantry award.

He enlisted to 3rd Bn (Special Reserve) on 8 9 1914. It looks he has lied about his age (given as 19) His record is available on Ancestry.They are in a damaged condition though. Do you have these?

Edited by Hywyn

Hi All

Service Records show  born Rhiwlas and his trade as "Quarryman". Father R.L Morris so definitely him. Incidentally his mother signed for the 14/15 star, his father is not present on the 1911 census. Although a Richard Morris turns up elsewhere with his wife and 3 step-children?

Regards Barry

On 01/11/2016 at 09:34, Muerrisch said:

If you tell me what you know, that will help me to isolate the things that I know that you don't know so that I can give you the extra material.

No.. Evan was the eldest child and only son , my grandmother  (Nain, in welsh) is one of 4 sisters..Evans name is now to be seen on the wall of a church in Tregarth North Wales, he was born along with his sisters in Bryncul , a cottage in Tregarth . 

On 06/11/2016 at 21:22, Hywyn said:

Dilys

Welcome/Croeso to the Forum

Ken has explained his campaign medal entitlement on post 13. He was entitled to three medals He did not recceive a gallantry award.

He enlisted to 3rd Bn (Special Reserve) on 8 9 1914. It looks he has lied about his age (given as 19) His record is available on Ancestry.They are in a damaged condition though. Do you have these?

We don't have the medal charts, Evan's relatives on both sides have now connected, I am his great Neice , bits are being found about him which has been sad reading, brings home the harshness and barbarism of war..horrendous to read about his death, we are so grateful he has a grave , which was visited by his family, alas not from my side , but we have pictures , sent by my cousin's . .I will try and locate this medal chart, as a novice at this I must thank you all who have replied, I thank you on behalf of Evan Lloyd-Morris . ..Thank you.

Dilys

If you want me to send you his Medal Card/Medal Roll etc etc then send me your email via the forum messenger. Hover your cursor over my name on the left of this post and you should see a little envelope icon, click on that. Might take me a day or so to do it though.

Hi Dilys

You state Evan was the eldest child and only son:-

Apologies if you already have this info.

According to the 1911 Wales Census Evan, the only son, was born 1898, although other records indicate his d of b as 22.5.1897 the eldest sister Annie was born 1895, census, or 20.2.1896 according to the death records, she died  Knowsley, Liverpool,June 1977, Annie Lloyd Hughes.

Evan's age on enlistment on 8.9.14. is shown as 19 yrs 4 months, the numbers 19 being heavily overwritten and then repeated on his conduct sheet.

The address Bryncul cottage, Tregarth, Bangor is shown as that of his next of kin Father, R.L.Morris. He was married in the first quarter of 1895 at Bangor to Elizabeth Ellen Owens. She was 17 yrs old, he was 23.

Perhaps you don't know this:-

The  1911 census has been filled in and signed by Robyn J Richards and his own  address, Anghorfa, Llandegai, Bangor,  on the following page is the census address... Bryncul Cottage. This page is filled in by the enumerator so in all probability Elizabeth couldn't write.

The space at the bottom of the census on the left has the initial R.J.R which confirms he has completed the form.

The number of children from the marriage of 16yrs is shown a 9, 5 still alive and 4 who have died.

Regards Barry

The 1911 census shows Elizabeth Lloyd Morris, the youngest sister, to be 1 yr old. Whereas other records show she was born 1905.

Still can't find their father Richard Lloyd Morris on 1911 census. 

Edited by The Inspector

On 05/11/2016 at 21:32, The Inspector said:

Hi All

Regards Barry

Android Photo

A bit of info:-When working as a Chargeman's apprentice ( Penrhyn  quarry) fractured his thumb in an unguarded machine on 13th May 1914. aged 16 yrs. 

How do you find this information . ..im so happy especially the thumb...bizarre how you get this..Annie Lloyd-Morris then Lloyd-Hughes is my Nain , one of 4 girls and as said Evan was the oldest and only son... 

On 05/11/2016 at 21:32, The Inspector said:

Hi All

Regards Barry

Android Photo

How do you find this information . ..im so happy especially the thumb...bizarre how you get this..Annie Lloyd-Morris then Lloyd-Hughes is my Nain , one of 4 girls and as said Evan was the oldest and only son... we have  this pic . its amazing . it looks like he was 17 when he signed up..to then become a Lance Corporal seems unreal...