Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jutland - Difinitive book.

SgtPrice

Dear Forum Pals,

I am very interested in learning more about the battle of Jutland. To this end does anybody know if there is a definitive book on the battle? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

regards,

PrivatePrice.

I doubt whether there is any historical subject for which a definitive book has been written.

I found enough to satisfy my interest in "The fighting at Jutland" by Fawcett & Hooper.

Petr Hart and Nigel Steele's book "Jutland" is not a bad read. Whether it is definitive might be going too far, but I have subsequently read a couple of other titles, and not registered anything that they missed.

As for "The Fighting at Jutland" great book - I have finally acquired a copy of the 1919 edition. Chuffed as ai researched the Fawcett family. One son (MID) a Captain in the Indian army was killed in Mespot, The next two served in1/6 West Yorks in the salient and on the first day of the Somme. These two were awarded MC's and one was unfortunate enough to leave an arm in Thiepval Wood while the other folowed his older brother into the Indian army, only to lose his life when the ship that was evacuating him from Singapore in WW2 was torpedoed. Harold, the co-editor of that book quit the navy in the mid 20's and returned to the family textile business where he was credited with some inventions. He was recalled in 1939 and worked on anto submarine issues, which earned him an OBE.

Quite a set of young Yorkshiremen.

Keith

Arthur J. Marder's 'From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow Vol. III Jutland and after' appeared in 1966, but is still, in my opinion, very sound. As an American academic he has fewer axes to grind than most. Recent claims of 'new revelations about Jutland' should be compared with what he was already saying 50 years ago!

Michael

Robert Massie Castles of Steel good overview, The Rules of the Game very persuasive...

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the swift replies, I will have a look at your recommendations and make sure I read one or two of them.

regards,

PP

The battle of Jutland 1916 by George Bonney -very good

Guys,

This is going to make my choices even harder! Maybe best if I read 2 or 3 of them to get a more rounded pictures of the events at sea.

Once again thanks for your help.

PP