Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Executive Engineer' on IGS Malabar 1921-22

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear GWFs and your Collective Wisdom,

At the risk of being slightly off-topic, I am sure that some members are knowlegeable about the Malabar Campaign 1921-22.

I have seen a list of officers and men and the various units involved, however, none of these made reference to civilians involved in the campaign.

Namely William John Davis, who was Executive Engineer, Coimbatore, at the time.

He was probably involved in repairing bridges and so on (having been twice Mentioned in Despatches for similar efforts in Mesopotamia, 1916-19), and received the IGS clasp Malabar 1921-22 (impressed EX-ENGNR. W. J. DAVIS).

This medal may well be 'Scarce', although this term should be used with a degree of caution.

Perhaps a member has access to a list, or information, regarding the IGS clasp Malabar to civilians in general, and to W. J. Davis in particular?

As always, comments would be much appreciated!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

post-122353-0-52432800-1465101196_thumb.

Kim, what's on the WW1 pair and Long service

Dear leibregiment,

The impressed naming on the William John Davis, BSc., medals are as follows:-

British War Medal 1914-18 (2-LT. W. J. DAVIS.); Victory Medal 1914-19 (2-LT. W. J. DAVIS.); India General Service Medal GVR clasp ˮMALABAR 1921-22ˮ (EX-ENGR. W. J. DAVIS.);1935 GVR Silver Jubilee Medal; 1937 GVIR Coronation Medal; Volunteer Long Service and Good Conduct Medal GVR (TPR. W. J. DAVIS, S. PROV. M. RIF., A. F. I.).

Mounted as originally worn.

In actual fact he served in Mesopotamia 1916-19 (latterly as an A/Major), IARO attached RE (Indian Establishment), Works, and was Mentioned in Despatches twice...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

He was not a civilian completely unconnected with the Army.

As Executive Engineer, he would have been a Government employee, the Army being another branch of Government. In addition, he may still have been in the Indian Army Reserve of Officers., and/or still may have had an ongoing connection with the Southern Provinces Mounted Rifles.

Is he on the National Archives WO 100/487 medal roll (which I understand is the Malabar roll) which is on Ancestry? This roll also may be downloaded for free http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C11200000

The FIBIS Fibiwiki page Public Works Department http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/Public_Works_Department details some of the sources for trancing an Engineer, and I note there are some records on Ancestry.

Cheers

Maureen

Dear Maureen,

Thanks for that. I followed up your WO 100 lead, but found reference to rolls other than Malabar 1921-22: that is not to say they are not there, of course...

His IGS Malabar 1921-22 is impressed EX-ENGNR. W. J. DAVIS. In his own words, written for Institute of Civil Engineers membership:-

'... 1916-20: IARO attd 2 QVO S&M. Demobilised from Mesopotamia with the rank of Major (Temp.).

1921-22: Placed on special duty to assist the Military Commander in Malabar...'

You are right that Davis was in Govt employ. By 1922 he had been released from the IARO, but may well have still been a member of the SPMR. However, his remark indicates

his being in a civilian capacity.

"Taming The Tiger" (Stiles, 2012) states, 'The Malabar 1921-22 clasp was sanctioned by AO 50 of 1924 to reward military amd mobilised civil personnel

employed with the Malabar Field Force...'

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• 1 year later...

Dear GWFs,

I urgently need a photo/Image of W. J. Davis, perhaps in some RE officer group (Mesopotamia).

T5a42ad49474f9_2QVOMadrasSprsandMnrs_small.jpg.23201377b28f2fdfeb7b50ea99181668.jpg5a42ad57f188a_2QVOSprsandMnrs_small.jpg.1c9008c8c9c8a17c26f93fcc137679eb.jpghe attached groups are named and may be useful to someone...

Kindest regards,

Kim.