Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Rifle Brigade Colchester

Game pat

Albert James Donald Rifleman 1st Rifle Brigade, died at Colchester Barracks on the 20th January 1914, 20 years old, he was born 1894 I know little else except he was in the army. If anyone can help I would be most grateful. Many Thanks Pat

From Long Long Trail, top left of this page

1st Battalion
August 1914 : at Colchester. Under command of 11th Brigade in 4th Division.
23 August 1914 : landed at Le Havre.

John - this chap died January 1914.

Pat - do you have his Service Number?

Misread it! Not really WW1 then?

Not strictly speaking, but perhaps the Mods will indulge us a little - this may lead somewhere pertinent.

Pat - 3 more Qs ...

- how do you know he was in 1st battalion of the Rifle Brigade?

- do you have his death certificate?

- have you found him in the 1911 Census, either in Colchester Barracks, or elsewhere?

If you have his Rifle Brigade Service Number, we can estimate his enlistment date, This is pretty reliable and accurate for pre-War Regulars.

Mark

... died ... on the 20th January 1914, 20 years old, he was born 1894

Pat,

Unless his birthday was 01-19 Jan, he would have been 19 years old to have been born in 1894 and died on 20th Jan 1914.

One of your facts is therefore wrong! Could you tell us which? Or confirm his early Jan birthday?

No sign of him in the CWGC database, and FreeBMD has a death registered for DONALD, Albert J, in Colchester RD for Q1 1914, but aged 21 years (see here).

FreeBMD also records a birth registered for DONALD, Albert James, in Warwick RD for Q1 1894.

It looks like he did die in Jan 1914, and he may well have had an early Jan birthday. Alternatively he may have been born in Dec 1893 during the Christmas period and not registered until the New Year. That could perhaps account for the 21 years old on the death register.

Pat: what more do you have on Albert DONALD? It's usually wise to share as much as possible early on to save us duplicating your efforts and/or going down blind alleys :(

Mark

I don't think CWGC would record deaths before the war started. A quick look for newspaper reports of his death has so far drawn a blank.

A prewar serving soldier should be shown in the soldiers effects records (usually with more information than wartime deaths)

Craig

I don't think CWGC would record deaths before the war started. A quick look for newspaper reports of his death has so far drawn a blank.

Yes - I was checking for a 20th Jan 1915 death in case the OP had made a mistake :thumbsup:

He was #4148

Enlisted 3/2/11 at Leamington.

Craig

Does Soldiers Effects show cause of death?

Craig - can you confirm 1/RB?

No Service number unfortunately, I am awaiting his death certificate, I know he was born in 1894 Leamington Priors [sPA] so he was only 19 years old when he died

Not strictly speaking, but perhaps the Mods will indulge us a little - this may lead somewhere pertinent.

Pat - 3 more Qs ...

- have you found him in the 1911 Census, either in Colchester Barracks, or elsewhere?

If you have his Rifle Brigade Service Number, we can estimate his enlistment date, This is pretty reliable and accurate for pre-War Regulars.

Mark

Hi Mark, I know he was in the 1st Rifle Brigade at Colchester because it was written in my grandmothers diary [her brother] awaiting death certificate, found him in the 1901 Cencus aged 7, nothing in 1911 which made me wonder if he was with the Army somewhere, I have no service Number, his brother William Alexander was easy to trace, KRRC KIA Delville Wood, Thiepval Memorial, but Albert is a mystery.

Pat,

Unless his birthday was 01-19 Jan, he would have been 19 years old to have been born in 1894 and died on 20th Jan 1914.

One of your facts is therefore wrong! Could you tell us which? Or confirm his early Jan birthday?

Hi Mark, just checking my Family tree, Albert was born on in March 1894, he was Baptized 25th April at St Pauls Church Leamington Spa Warks and the date of his death is in the diary. I wondered if he joined under age, my own Grandfather did, he was born 1888 and was a Regular from 1904. Do not expect to come up with really just clutching at straws. Regards Pat

No sign of him in the CWGC database, and FreeBMD has a death registered for DONALD, Albert J, in Colchester RD for Q1 1914, but aged 21 years (see here).

FreeBMD also records a birth registered for DONALD, Albert James, in Warwick RD for Q1 1894.

It looks like he did die in Jan 1914, and he may well have had an early Jan birthday. Alternatively he may have been born in Dec 1893 during the Christmas period and not registered until the New Year. That could perhaps account for the 21 years old on the death register.

Pat: what more do you have on Albert DONALD? It's usually wise to share as much as possible early on to save us duplicating your efforts and/or going down blind alleys :(

Mark

Little known of him, one of his sister's daughter is still alive and she knew nothing of him, all I know is from my family history research, William his older brother died on the Somme at Delville Wood September 1916, I have everything about William, on his war record states all of his kin, his younger brother Charles Weaving Donald is down as being in the Devon Tanks, you can find all this on line Ancestry but I have never found anything for him either, but I know he committed suicide in 1926, he was born in 1899, I asked my Dad when he was alive but he said his Mum did not talk of his brothers, I know my Grans diary had news cuttings, Alberts just stated his death, Williams news cutting "At the outbeak of war William joined the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, he was killed in 1916, the following is an extract from the newspaper:

Mr. & Mrs Donald have been informed that their son Rifleman William Donald has been posted as wounded and missing after an engagement on the 15th ult. William enlisted at the outbreak of war and went to France the following March. Captain St Aubyn, who was wounded at the same time, writes as follows to Mrs. Donald "I am afraid that there is now no alternative but to presume that your son was killed in action on September the 15th, he was my servant for over a year, he was always cheerful even when things were most uncomfortable, when I was wounded he assisted me back to the nearest trench, which was a few hundred yards distant. We crossed the open ground all right and were within a few yards of the trench when he was hit by a bullet, which went through his back, it must have pierced his lung. Regular medical parties come up as soon as possible after a position has been captured, and had he been alive when they arrived they would have brought him in. So really I have no more info, my own Grandfather I was lucky enough as he was a Regular his papers were held at Edinburgh he served till 1923. I do not know how to trace pre war. Thanks Regards Pat

Yes- I remember helping you with Rfn William A. Donald and Capt. Morice J. St Aubyn of 7/KRRC here. The early responses from the Pals had incorrectly identifed St Aubyn!

Apologies for not connecting the two as brothers.

Mark

... his younger brother Charles Weaving Donald is down as being in the Devon Tanks, you can find all this on line Ancestry but I have never found anything for him either, but I know he committed suicide in 1926, he was born in 1899,

Thanks Regards Pat

The tank units have their origin in the Machine Gun Corps Heavy Branch - see here

This National Archive MIC for Charles DONALD, Machine Gun Corps, might be worth checking on Ancestry - unfortunately I do not have Ancestry access myself just now, but the MGC Service Number of 79053 should help you locate any records.

Medal card of Donald, Charles

Corps 	                        Service No 	Rank
Machine Gun Corps Infantry 	79053 	        Private
Machine Gun Corps Cavalry 	79053 	        Private

Good luck!

Mark

Pat - 3 more Qs ...

Mark

See you are interested in the KRRC, Alberts brother was in this:

Regiment King's Royal Rifle Corps

Thiepval Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.

DONALD, WILLIAM ALEXANDER Rifleman

A/3083 A Coy

KIA 15/09/1916 Delville Wood

King's Royal Rifle Corps

Thiepval Memorial Pier and Face 13 A and 13 B.

Grave Memorial Reference Pier & Face 13 A and 13 B. THIEPVAL

I do have the War Diaries, but expect you already have them, if not let me know.

I see Craig has found Alberts Service Number #4148. Enlisted 3/2/11 at Leamington.

so he must have been somewhere in those 3 years, I thought they were in Ireland, and strange I cannot find him in 1911 Census, maybe you will find some more info hopefully, I am happy to know

when and where he enlisted. Thanks for your help. Pat

He was #4148

Enlisted 3/2/11 at Leamington.

Craig

Wow, thanks I am amazed you found this out, so for 3 years where was he? I believe they did a stint in Ireland? well quite excited at finding this out, do you know where in Leamington enlistment took place? Thanks Craig Regards Pat

Craig - can you confirm 1/RB?

Hi, what is a 1/RB?