Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John J Hall 19/470 DLI

Jon K Hall

Hoping someone can shed some light on my Grandfather's time in WW1. He enlisted at Stockton-on Tees 03/031915 and his number would denote that he joined the 19th DLI, a Bantam battalion even though he was about 6ft tall. At some point he was a casualty (Gas) although he did manage to survive the war. His Silver Badge entry states that he served in the 19th, 2nd and 11th battalions and I am curious as to why he was moved around instead of remaining with the19th. Also, the DLI is prefixed with 'Kings Own' or is this an error.

Men could be moved for any reason the army saw fit although the most common reason was due to illness or injury - whilst away his place in the battalion was often filled by someone else and then, once fit, he would be sent back out and re-allocated to fill a vacancy in another battalion.

Where are you seeing the 'Kings Own' bit ? It's not mentioned on the SWB roll - is it on the SWB Medal index card, Medal Index Card or Medal Roll ?.

Craig

• 1 month later...

Sorry Craig for the late reply, been away for a while....  My mistake, his medal index card and War badge record reads RDLI not Kings Own. (getting him confused with another

family member)

Is there any way of finding out when/where he was 'gassed'? I'm guessing it could have been in 1916 as he was obviously home around October or I would not be writing this.

jon