Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RND on SDGW?

Skipman

• Admin

Mike

I don't think so - but I do know that FMP has a record set for WW1 naval casualties (which includes the RND) and I understand that a CD ROM is available commonly known as Sailors Died Great War, in analogy to Soldiers Died Great War (SDGW).

Russ

The Royal Naval Division Record Cards, giving full service details, can be found on Findmypast.

Sepoy

Not quite as simple as that.

The actual position is that B&W copies of some RND Record Cards are at Kew (ADM 339), copies of copies of which are also on Findmypast.

All the 50,000 original RND Record Cards for naval officers and ratings (i.e. ADM 339) are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum (FAAM). They also hold the original RND Record Cards for some 5,000 men of the Royal Naval Division Engineers, Divisional Train, Ordnance Company and Royal Marines Medical Unit - these are not available elsewhere.

Apart from the four RM support units detailed above, very few RND Record Cards have survived for the RMLI men of the RND. Those that have survived are to be found in the RMLI Attestation Packs at the FAAM which usually also contain Army Forms B.103 detailing RND service, wounds, etc.

RND Record Cards do not exist for men serving in army units in the RND.

http://www.fleetairarm.com/royal-navy-royal-marines-services-records.aspx

• 1 year later...

I cannot speak highly enough of the "Royal Naval Division Casualties" dataset compiled by Jack Marshall, and available via both Ancestry & FMP. The detail is far superior to both that of SDGW, and the RN Deaths list on FMP (which seems to be transcripted from ADM 242).

All this research on casualties, and the various medal rolls, stems from his interest in his Great Uncle:
http://www.jackclegg.com/

If the casualties were members of Army units within the RND, they should be listed in SDGW (or ODGW if officers).

Ron