Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries - British Aviator Losses

Cam_s

Good Day All,

Does anyone know any AIR listings for British Aviator losses for either the RNAS or RFC? I am looking for information concerning the reporting of downed pilots, records etc...

Thanks,

Cam

Good Day All,

Does anyone know any AIR listings for British Aviator losses for either the RNAS or RFC? I am looking for information concerning the reporting of downed pilots, records etc...

Thanks,

Cam

Hi

What sort of information are you looking for? If you have a particular name then there are the Casualty Cards available free on the RAF Museum website, 'Story Vault'. Losses on dates, with all basic information, can be found in Trevor Henshaw's 'The Sky their Battlefield II'. There is also a DVD-ROM of 'Airmen Died in the Great War 1914-1918', available from Naval & Military Press, that can be searched. Or are you after a particular piece of information?

Mike

Hi

What sort of information are you looking for? If you have a particular name then there are the Casualty Cards available free on the RAF Museum website, 'Story Vault'. Losses on dates, with all basic information, can be found in Trevor Henshaw's 'The Sky their Battlefield II'. There is also a DVD-ROM of 'Airmen Died in the Great War 1914-1918', available from Naval & Military Press, that can be searched. Or are you after a particular piece of information?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm looking for the reporting and receiving of reports to confirm a KIA. So for instance, a pilot is reported missing over the German lines and later confirmed as KIA... what type of documentation was used and does any of it survive. I'm guessing there was some kind of message traffic from the units reporting the missing pilots up to the RNAS/RFC Wings and then there must have been some sort of diplomatic message from the German's confirmed the location of a death.

Thanks,

Cam

I found this in the service papers of Lieutenant Leonard Kingdon, Worcestershire Regiment and Royal Flying Corps, who was shot down and killed, by Oswalde Boelcke, on 12th January, 1916.
(National Archives Reference WO 339/13504)

Sepoy

post-55476-0-13945000-1465128807_thumb.j

Thanks Sepoy,

This is the type of thing I am looking for. Was this part of a file that had numerous listing or just this one?

Cam