Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Orphen Art Documentary

David_Blanchard

I wonder if anyone can remember part of documentary on art of the Great War that featured a section on one of William Orphen's portraits?

It was screened probably within the last ten years.

Any help appreciated.

David

David,

Was it the Antiques Roadshow follow-up of William Orpen's portrait of the young lady who turned out to be his girlfriend? If so I believe Philip Mould presented. A friend contacted his office once about something else and found them very helpful.

Thanks for your help. But it was actually from a documentary concerning British art during the Great War.

David

Aha. I was just wondering whether it was Andrew Graham Dixon's recent-ish series - wish I'd seen the Simon Schama programme!

Aha. I was just wondering whether it was Andrew Graham Dixon's recent-ish series - wish I'd seen the Simon Schama programme!

sJ

It was as recently as last September and coincided with an exhibition at the npg. It may still be available on the more distant shores of iPlayer

David

Edit: just had a quick look and it's listed as unavailable at the moment

I can vaguely remember an Orpen retrospective exhibition of work from all the periods of his life many years ago. I wonder if one of the TV arts programmes picked that up? However I think it was more than ten years ago.

Roger M

Three minutes of Schama's show is still on iplayer.

David