Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regiment identification please

Trev2386

The attached photograph is of my great uncle, Frank Atkin, who was tragically killed in 1943, at a firing range near Weston Super Mare whilst training to go to Europe.

I have no idea of the regiment or even a date. It could possibly have been taken between the wars, but I don't know.

Any help from forum members is, as ever, gratefully received.

Trev.

post-115486-0-58702000-1464960406_thumb.

Given he was 47 when he died in 1943 Id say (looking at him) ww1 is about right

thats assuming this is him

Rank: Warrant Officer Class II Trade: C.S.M. Date of Death: 21/02/1943 Age: 47 Regiment/Service: Home Guard 8th Somerset (Weston-super-Mare) Bn. Awards: M M Grave Reference: Sec. J.A. Grave 157. Cemetery: WESTON-SUPER-MARE CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of William and Sarah Atkin; husband of Jane Elinor Joyce Atkin, of Worle, Weston-super-Mare

and if home guard aged 47 he prob wasnt training to go to the continent but he was the trainer

NOTE the MM

There was a Frank Atkin who won the MM whilst serving with the King's Own Scottish Borderers, Edinburgh Gazette 22 October 1917. His service number was 11682 and he came from Chesterfield. There is a public family tree on Ancestry that includes him (with a photograph), showing his death in Somerset in 1943 and also recording that he born in Mansfield in 1897.

That said, I'm afraid I know absolutely nothing about the uniform in your photo.

C

Gents many thanks and that is, indeed him.

I've attached another photo of him in his Borderers uniform.

Any further info about the uniform in the above photo? Doesn't look Scottish to me? But as I've stated, I know nothing about it.

Trev

post-115486-0-80933600-1464964724_thumb.

Should get an answer on the Victorian Wars Forum

http://www.victorianwars.com

as he isnt Victorian in this picture (born circa 1897 and he looks older than 4) why would you ask there ? Or do they cover later periods to ?

As an add on, I can't find the Edinburgh Gazette entry for his MM. Any help please?

Trev

When did they stop using that type of hat? I read in a post somewhere else that they were abolished in around 1901 - that being the case, the photograph must be of someone other than the Frank Atkin who was born in 1896-7 and died, aged 47, in 1943.

C

When did they stop using that type of hat? I read in a post somewhere else that they were abolished in around 1901 - that being the case, the photograph must be of someone other than the Frank Atkin who was born in 1896-7 and died, aged 47, in 1943.

C

Good point!!

Trev

Certainly is Army Service Corps, who would have continued to wear the "pork pie" cap until the introduction of the Broderick forage cap and they may have still worn it in undress.

The KOSB number(11682) is also interesting as it was issued sometime between April 1913 and January 1914, so it appears that he may have transferred from the A.S.C. to the K.O.S.B. at some time - unless as already stated, we're looking at two different people, as he would have only been 18yrs of age in 1914, if born in 1896.

• 3 months later...

I believe I may have cleared up the matter with the OP photograph. It would appear that it is a "studio" portrait, as his mother wanted a photo of Frank in uniform before he was posted. Not having a uniform with him, he went into a studio, liked the look of what was hanging up and the rest, they say, is history! Well, that's what I've been told anyway! 

Frank won his MM on the 16th of August 1917, at Passerelle. Two days later, his CSM, John Skinner, won his VC.

Trev

2 hours ago, Trev2386 said:

I believe I may have cleared up the matter with the OP photograph. It would appear that it is a "studio" portrait, as his mother wanted a photo of Frank in uniform before he was posted. Not having a uniform with him, he went into a studio, liked the look of what was hanging up and the rest, they say, is history! Well, that's what I've been told anyway! 

Frank won his MM on the 16th of August 1917, at Passerelle. Two days later, his CSM, John Skinner, won his VC.

Trev

Good job they didn't have a Field Marshals uniform.  Looks like he is wearing spurs as well.  David

4 hours ago, droberts said:

Good job they didn't have a Field Marshals uniform.  Looks like he is wearing spurs as well.  David

Knowing the family history quite well now, it probably crossed his mind!!

Trev