Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Mills 36

ServiceRumDiluted

Todays find at the local flea market was this Mills 36 castingpost-96724-0-89345600-1464887788_thumb.j

Which set me back a princely 10.00.

The maker is JP&S Ltd, no problem there, Josiah Parkes I think, Willenhall Staffs. It is dated, or I presume it is a date, 1.17 which I thought might be a bit early for a 36.

It is odd in that it is a casting only with no holes for a striker, filler or base plug.post-96724-0-32956600-1464887964_thumb.j

But it does have holes for a pin, leading me to think it is a throwing practice grenade. But it has the ghost of a red band around the middle, but I think this might be a later addition.

A side image

post-96724-0-47587000-1464888292_thumb.j

The date highlighted with flour

post-96724-0-95452500-1464888479_thumb.j

The 7 of 17 is much clearer than I managed to get it here. No doubt it says 17.

post-96724-0-72396900-1464888548_thumb.j

Here it is next to an unfinished factory casting. The factory casting is without doubt ww2 as it came from someone who lived by a railway line taking castings to be machined and filled, they were stacked up at the side of the sidings for transferring onto a different train. When the war ended the stacked up crates were dumped down the banking into what became his garden. He said he was fed up with finding them as a child!

Anyway I include it because it is very different to the one I got today, it is rough finished and has the Base plug hole ready for machining.

Did I get an early practice 36 or an unfinished casting? Is 1.17 a red herring and is not a date but a batch number? Any suggestions much appreciated.

I hadn't spotted that bit of that thread, thanks. Looks like a rare item, close inspection shows the Staffordshire knot on mine as well. Dead chuffed to find it, thanks for your help.

I'm interested to know what the weights of those two are.

Regards,

JMB

They were throwing practice dummies prepared for the introduction of the 36 in the autumn of 1917.

Yes they are rare.

John

post-8629-0-29613100-1464971848_thumb.jp

I'm interested to know what the weights of those two are.

Regards,

JMB

Mine weighs 14.1 oz 399 grams

Clearly more for perfecting the throwing action as this is about half the weight of the real thing.

John

Thanks for weight info; my grandfather was trained as a bomber, so I'm always interested in these.

Regards,

JMB

Mine clocks in at 400gm also. The casting at 420gm.

Is 1.17 a red herring and is not a date but a batch number? Any suggestions much appreciated.

It's not 1 17 it's 1917. Yours obviously had a light touch in the mould for the date.

John

Thanks for weight info; my grandfather was trained as a bomber, so I'm always interested in these.

Regards,

JMB

JMB,

Here is a link to a current ' WW1 Mills Grenade/Bomb Thread ' which contains a lot of information and photographs on Bomber's training and also a Bomber's Training Manual.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=188323&page=1

Regards,

LF

Lancs,

Thanks for posting that link.

I had rushed through it the first time around to soak up what to me was brand new knowledge and take some downloads. Now I can re-read it just for pleasure.

Regards,

JMB