Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Co-operative Wholesale Society Memorial - Manchester Head Office Roll

8055Bell

Thanks to members of GWF and Manchesters I've found out details of most men on the CWS Head Office Roll. The early recruitment of men in 1914 has always intrigued me and the sample of men on this Roll have been used as a bit of a case study. The journey has led to a magazine / paper that I thought I would share on here. Manchester Co-op’s Battle of the Somme

I've learned that publishing anything is an arduous process and now appreciate the toil of the authors I have used in the research.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Tim

Excellent bit of work, Tim.

Well researched and the story is well paced.

John

(PS: Readers may note that I post only a few minutes after Tim and wonder at my speed reading ability. I had the benefit of seeing an advanced copy)

Thanks John,

I tried to collate your thoughts on editing with the able assistance of my 16 year old daughter. Still lots to learn if I was doing a full book... She can go back to her AS revision.

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

Whilst I haven't read your work completely yet I must say I'm very impressed. Do you mind me asking how long the project took? I ask because I have fairly recently begun to look into the Bradford Colliery roll of honour (around 550 men) and appreciate the time you must have spent to produce your article. The Colliery roll is from the Manchester Book of Honour so only deals with early volunteers, Colliery records in general appear to be sparse so I'm not even sure how to trace later volunteers/conscripts.

Once again well done. I have to go now to read the 2nd half!

Regards

Simon

Thanks for reading Simon,

I started the specific research back in December, but there's lots of overlap with previous research on the Pals. Compared with Bradford Colliery, I've been blessed with lots of data to fill the gaps. I hope that makes it plausible as a research article

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

As with comments above, an excellent and readable piece of research.

Since moving to my 'new' village I have researched the local War Memorial and the results are on a website - see here - however, it occurs to me that a printed version would be of more use to some of our residents and, as we are one of the villages that has had its library closed and is now run by volunteers, any proceeds could be put to a good cause.

In short - how and who published it for you and about how much? If that's too much information to ask for I assure you I'll not be offended! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Graham

Hi Graham,

Glad you enjoyed the research. The good news is that the I didn't pay a penny to publish the eMagazine. Just go to the Yumpu site and upload pdf to produce the same product. The bad news is that the word/pdf files would be the best documents to create the printed versions. I need to find better way....

Tim