Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

identify unit

HeleneHanff

I am trying to find the unit my Aunts father fought in. She has these two photos of him but doesnt know anything about them. His name was Christopher Cliff he was born in Middlesbrough in 1885 and died in 1960. It would be great to know more

thanks in anticipation

Helene

post-93315-0-47050800-1464791327_thumb.j

post-93315-0-92908400-1464791329_thumb.j

I would guess at this man

Christopher Cliff census 1911 16 Tyne Street Middlesbrough

A medal index roll 7th Yorks Regt & 9th Yorks Regiment 14938

753 Coy Labour Corps & 868 Coy Labour Corps 374326 after being wounded (see wound stripe left cuff)

43rd Royal Fusiliers GS104930

Eddie

Yorkshire regiment badge, I'd say, and also looks like overseas chevrons on his right cuff (though it might just be something on the picture). I love the soldierly "Corporal Jones telling a story"-type pose.

The cap badge shown is Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment).

Thank you all very much. I have found these documents and wondered if you could help me further . It does say he was wounded and my aunt says he had described being so but she cant remember much more. The abbreviations POW co what does that mean also 13 dli. There is another document I have found with more abbreviations will send that next hope this is okay.

regards

helene

post-93315-0-29181000-1464796881_thumb.j

I hope you dont mind me sending more info but I know I am making my aunts day by finding all this out for her. I wondered if anyone could explain what some of the abbreviations mean in red handwriting.

Thanks once more everyone for your most kind help

regards

Helene

post-93315-0-12910900-1464797633_thumb.j

DLI = Durham Light Infantry

POW = Prisoner of War. He seems to have been attached to 18 POW Company (about which I know nothing)

Can't see the second document well enough to read, I'm afraid.

WO casualty list has him as Yorks Regt. Daily list 14/3/17. So photo is after that date?

POW, Princess of Wales as per post 4

TEW

POW, Princess of Wales as per post 4

TEW

If the question about POW referred to the document in post 4 (and I think t did), then my money's on Prisoner of War.

I see POW in the image of post5 which the OP asked for a definition of. I think this is 9th Yorks, attached 18th Princess of Wales' company (Yorks Regt)

The DLI reference is to the next man on the list.

Sorry, but I also think it's a wound stripe on HIS left sleeve.

The list in post5 may or may not relate to the WO casualty list event , it could be another incident altogether.

The red writing on medal roll in post6 is BWM Retd. KR 992, 25/2/24, 7860/Adt., IVRI 4/9/25. Normally, this means his medals were not delivered to him, change of address perhaps. But not 100% sure why it mentions an 'Issue Voucher' ref. 19 months later.

TEW

Thanks all once more. I dont think there are any chevrons on his right sleeve but there is definitely something on his left one. The photo takes pride of place at my husbands aunts it has got damaged with age. I agree that the POW is Princess of Wales and not prisoner of war as I first thought.

"WO casualty list has him as Yorks Regt. Daily list 14/3/17. So photo is after that date?" Is there some where I can look at the daily list as we wondered how he had injured himself. Obviously not sufficiently to leave the army but enough to have him transferred to "light duties". Does that mean he was injured in January February 1917?

thanks all

The WO official list is reproduced in The Times 14/3/1917 page 5, it gives no more information on his wound.

I would say the incident took place in Feb 1917. IF the official list and yours in post5 are one and the same incident then he was wounded with the 18th Yorks. Sadly, I can't seem to find a war diary for them which might have given a clue as to where and roughly when the injury took place.

I have a feeling the list in post5 originally gave more information. The part that's damaged on the right hand side says 'Syn....', I can't think what that means at present.

I'll check the other men on that list to see if they turn up on WO list for about the same date.

TEW

Helene

43 Royal Fusiliers were a Garrison Guard Battalion.

From memory over 40 Labour Companies were reassigned to it.

My Gt Grandfather was part of 989 Area Employment Company (Labour Corps) which became 43 RF.

I have 43 RF War Diary somewhere deep within my research documents.

Sean

374321 and 374325 were both issued those numbers on 1/11/1917.

I'd suggest he may have been transferred the 43rd (Garrison) Bn Royal Fusiliers around August 1918.

Checking the other names against WO casualty list is inconclusive.

Only 34419 Swain who shows up on WO list in Dec 1917. There are a few different possibilities, the post5 list may be just a list of 'sick' who didn't fulfil the criteria for an entry on the WO list, in which case it could date to any period while he was with 9th Yorks, attached 18th Yorks. The Feb 1917 incident could be a completely separate event while with 7th or 9th Yorks.

TEW

I agree that the POW is Princess of Wales and not prisoner of war as I first thought.

I'd suggest you stick with your first thought, the abbreviation "9/Yorks Att. 18/P. of W. Co." is 9th Bn. Yorkshire Regiment attached to 18th Prisoner of War Company (a Labour Corps company).

Steve

Gosh thank you everyone it all gives me more info for my aunt and her family who are all wanting to know. They had thought the cap badge was Green Howards so it is good to have that confirmed, and everything else is icing on the cake. Being cheeky I wondered if anyone could confirm where the 7th and 9th Battalions were formed. One site said Beverley another Richmond the dates seem to be the same though.

It's funny whilst googling away I found a photo of the The Royal Fusiliers Public School Battalion that was so similar to the one I had posted with the washing bowl. Thanks

Being cheeky I wondered if anyone could confirm where the 7th and 9th Battalions were formed. One site said Beverley another Richmond the dates seem to be the same though.

Best follow the oracle: the Mother Site

I would check for a service record for each of the men mentioned on the Sick and wounded list above even if they are not the same regiment. If you find one, it may well confirm the date of this list and confirm whether it relates to his wounding or not.

I would also get the war diary for February 1917 which may shed light on how he was injured (or it may not!)

Mark

I would check for a service record for each of the men mentioned on the Sick and wounded list above even if they are not the same regiment. If you find one, it may well confirm the date of this list and confirm whether it relates to his wounding or not.

I would also get the war diary for February 1917 which may shed light on how he was injured (or it may not!)

Mark

I had a look at the men on that list last night and found no service/pension records for them. 2 died in Spring 1918.

Records may have been under other numbers though.

TEW

I'd suggest you stick with your first thought, the abbreviation "9/Yorks Att. 18/P. of W. Co." is 9th Bn. Yorkshire Regiment attached to 18th Prisoner of War Company (a Labour Corps company).

Steve

Thank you