Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical units 13th November 1916

andrew pugh

Hi

Could anybody tell me what medical unit would have dealt with the wounded from the 24th battalion Royal Fusiliers fighting on the Redan Ridge 13/11/1916? Hope someone can help.

Kind Regards

Andy

2nd Division

5th, 6th and 100th Field Ambulances and also a bearer division of 1/2 South Midland FA in reserve from 12th Nov

2nd Division ADMS Ancestry has 2 nice evacuation plans.

Possibly this one shows Redan Ridge, with Bearer Posts and RAPS in squares Q.3, 4 and 5 sheet 57dSE. 2nd Division section centred on 57d NE K.33, 34 and 35, with squares A & B of Q.3, 4 and 5 if that makes sense.

RAPS in Wolf trench, Fourth Ave, Roman Road and Chatham St.

Medical arrangements for forthcoming operations (dated 22/10/1916) accompany the plans.

ADS was at Red House north of Mailly Maillet, MDS at Bertrancourt with a Collecting Station at the Sucrerie 57dNE K.32.d

Complex arrangement of evacuation between various sub-divisions of 5 & 6 FAs and their bearer divisions. I think it's all there in the Medical arrangments, it just needs picking through carefully.

Not checked the FA diaries

TEW

Hi Tew

Thank you so much for that information, our Great uncle was wounded on the 13/11/1916 while attacking the German trenches in front of Munich Trench.He was more than likely wounded while following the creeping barrage which did cause many casualties to the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers that day. They made their attack after leaving the Cat Tunnel/Trench. Once again many thanks

Andy

Hi Tew.

Could I ask a question on the map you provided it shows a medical centre shown as the RED HOUSE at Mailley Mailett, is it the same place as the RED BARN in Auchonvillers or a totally different place? I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards Andy

There was a 'Red Barn' much further north, but it seems there's been another discussion here about the 'Red Barn' in connection with Redan Ridge

I think the Red House mentioned in the Medical Arrangements for 2nd Div ADMS must have been know as Red Barn by some.

Oddly, searching ancestry diaries for Red House produces two different grid refs, Red House M 6.d 2.0 and Red House Q.1.D.3.3

The Red House shown on the evacuation plan is in K.28.a, and is actually marked on map as Red Cottage. I guess there may have been many Red Barns, Houses, Cottages.

TEW

• 2 weeks later...