Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Welsh language recruitment poster

depaor01

Thanks,

It is a notice addressed at single men (including those in Reserved Occupations) warning them that unless they attest under the Group Scheme before March 1st (1916), they will come under the Military Service Act.

It is the translation of this English Language poster:

post-109762-0-39385700-1464718083_thumb.

I wonder how the Library of Congress managed to obtain that. not many yanks to be seen in North Wales in March 1917.

I wonder how the Library of Congress managed to obtain that. not many yanks to be seen in North Wales in March 1917.

Lots of Welsh went "over there" tho'. Still do!

Plenty of Canadians at Kinmel Camp though?

Jules, Mark you're both absolutely right.

Ron the poster's been on the forum before- but news that it sold for £440 at auction is stunning! How would that compare pricewise to the English poster?

Forum member LST 164 Clive has published an excellent book on Recruitment in North West Wales - including work on Welsh medium posters and period printed material.

I think the Library of Congress must have been offered (or requested) specimen posters since they have other Welsh ones as well as English versions.

It only dawned on me recently (doh!) that the curious and clumsy Welsh caption to the £440 poster - "Independence calls for its bravest man" - is in fact a line from the Welsh language version of the song "Men of Harlech"!

I think the poster a bit on the pricey side, compared with (IMHO) better-designed ones which were sold in a major recruiting poster auction last year in the £200-£300 range.

Clive

Re the acquisitions, the LOC state on their site:

"...The Library acquired these posters through gift, purchase, and exchange or transfer from other government institutions, and continues to add to the collection."

Their generosity in offering them in high resolution TIFF format at no cost is highly commendable.

Dave