Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

‘Grey books’ of officers and men killed in the war (not sure what this

Mark1959

‘Grey books’ of officers and men killed in the war (not sure what this is) - the answer

My first post. Currently researching the chaps on the memorial of Stratford Upon Avon Boat Club. Although very familiar with the relevant documents through my time at the Army Medal Office thought I would read up to the forum's advice to see if there were any sources I did not know about; this led me to the page about what was lost in the 1940 fire. Came across the statement that forms the topic title. We had a "grey book" at the AMO. This was a very useful source for us. The AMO would get requests for information on individual WW1 soldiers if the Army Record Office could not find anything. . It purported to be a complete list of all British servicemen killed in WW1. Now, I cannot remember all the book had in it but I do remember that it almost invariably gave the place of enlistment for the soldier Plus other basic info. My assumption was this went to the PRO when the medals rolls did - but this was after I left. So at least one copy existed as late as the mid-1980s. One can only assume it still does; either at the PRO or at the AMO that I believe is now at Innsworth.

‘Grey books’ of officers and men killed in the war (not sure what this is) - the answer

My first post. Currently researching the chaps on the memorial of Stratford Upon Avon Boat Club. Although very familiar with the relevant documents through my time at the Army Medal Office thought I would read up to the forum's advice to see if there were any sources I did not know about; this led me to the page about what was lost in the 1940 fire. Came across the statement that forms the topic title. We had a "grey book" at the AMO. This was a very useful source for us. The AMO would get requests for information on individual WW1 soldiers if the Army Record Office could not find anything. . It purported to be a complete list of all British servicemen killed in WW1. Now, I cannot remember all the book had in it but I do remember that it almost invariably gave the place of enlistment for the soldier Plus other basic info. My assumption was this went to the PRO when the medals rolls did - but this was after I left. So at least one copy existed as late as the mid-1980s. One can only assume it still does; either at the PRO or at the AMO that I believe is now at Innsworth.

Is it possible that this is the 'soldiers died in the great war' book published in 1921 by HMSO. This book lists enlistment location, date of death, place of death etc.

Craig

Could well be. But never seen one apart from the one we had. It was literally a line or so a man

The version we had was not split into regiments. It was a straight alphabetical list but the details look about the same as I remember. Probably from the same source just organised differently

The version we had was not split into regiments. It was a straight alphabetical list but the details look about the same as I remember. Probably from the same source just organised differently

If it was a single bound volume, it must have been enormous.