Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bayonets from here

assafx

Stumbled on this P1907(?) today.

seems to be US made by Remington (?) and i'm not sure about the rest (royal engineers stamp?).

any help would be appreciated.

Assaf

P1030025.thumb.jpg.7e665bd3cb9b1102d581eaa7e53398a9.jpgP1030023.thumb.jpg.6fb64727c73e89743a94eb1a0dcffce1.jpgP1030022.thumb.jpg.13fbc1651db649cf277d4ae08845c371.jpg

Not my field at all really but NOT a P.1907 but a M.1917 for US use - equivalent of the GB P.1913 bayonet for the P.1914 rifle. Note the higher muzzle ring when compared to a P.1907, also the two cuts on the grip so that people did not confuse the two when trying to fix to a rifle!

The clearest US Inspector's mark (the eagle) and number I have seen on one of these. BUT, there is a trace of a scrubbed out GB 'X' blade testing mark above the 'Flamig onion' (in reality a US grenade mark for US issue) and the 1917, so perhaps it began life with the intention of becoming a P.1913 (also made by Remington, I think!) and ended up being adopted and changed to a M.1917?

The frog looks to be a GB WW2 one. The scabbards for the P.1907, P.1913, and M.1917 are essentially identical, except that - IIRC - the US ones did not have a frog stud.

Others know more than I but I don't think these M.1917 ones travelled outside of Europe in WW1, and the US used a different bayonet in WW2, these M.1917's being used in the UK with the Home Guard.

Why do you think an RE connection?

Julian

1 hour ago, trajan said:

Why do you think an RE connection?

Given Remington also made bayonet scabbards, I'm going to guess that the scabbard throat has their shortened RE in a circle mark on it...

52 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Given Remington also made bayonet scabbards, I'm going to guess that the scabbard throat has their shortened RE in a circle mark on it...

Assaf, that's the Remington mark for scabbard parts - in a circle though Andrew? Diamonds - I thought - were more usual. Check out the back of the scabbard, left-hand side of the seam, to see if there are markings there. This looks to be a 'London brown' scabbard, an as issued scabbard, not as waxed and blackened later. It has the characteristic WW1-type teardrop stud also. A case of mix and match!

Remington maker marks appear on the front face of scabbard lockets and chapes, they appear to have made a lot during WW1 judging by how common they are. There are 3 varieties:

RE in a circle

RE with lines above and below

RE on its own

Cheers,

Tony

Thank you all.

just when i think that i'm getting the hang of it... the flaming onion got me confused with RE.

they had a WWII Canadian SMLE there and the bayonet fitted so i assumed wrong.

I will be at that place in two weeks and will look at the scabbard for more marks.

Assaf

I will as soon as i can, Thank You

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2019 at 18:12, msdt said:

Remington maker marks appear on the front face of scabbard lockets and chapes, they appear to have made a lot during WW1 judging by how common they are. There are 3 varieties:

RE in a circle

RE with lines above and below

RE on its own

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony,

it took me some time and i made it back. sadly, there are no marks on the scabbard.

Assaf

People were assuming that you had seen an RE on the scabbard and so gave the Royal Engineers connection. The scabbard looks to be an early one. You will need to take the frog off, the locket will be marked mostly just above the staple, a few manufacturers stamped on the back. The chape is usually marked below or under the staple. The marks on the back of the leather near the top can disappear completely.

Cheers,

Tony