Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NigelS

The Woodland Trust is intending to plant 6,097 saplings (one for each British sailor lost) in an 8 acre Jutland Wood within its 640 acre Langley Vale First World War Centennial Wood near Epsom, Surrey. A spokesperson, in a telephone interview on BBC local radio (Click FFD to approx 02:23), said that the wood's outline would take the form of a ship with the saplings planted in wave patterns rather than a more conventional grid arrangement, also that it was planned to plant fourteen semi-mature oaks to commemorate each of the British ships lost.

NigelS

Edited by NigelS
tags added

Excellent another one to add to my list of "Completely pointless 100th Commemorations" I do hope they keep this up, mind you having just watched part of the Jutland official service on the telly this is also a very strong candidate.

N :thumbsup:

Me too.

Sorry Norman, although I entirely share your view on the Somme shrouds, I don't see why this idea is 'pointless.' If in the future folk walking in 'Jutland Wood' are moved to ask why it is called this and as a consequence learn something about the sacrifice of those involved, isn't that a worthwhile act of remembrance?

David

I must say I rather like the Jutland Wood idea - oaks - long living, naval resonance; something semi permanent and not here and gone tomorrow. Not bad.

The service(s) was/were not too bad either, I thought: just compare it to Verdun. I thought it had dignity (though they were very lucky with the weather, as compared to the cemetery event near Verdun).

Excellent another one to add to my list of "Completely pointless 100th Commemorations" I do hope they keep this up, mind you having just watched part of the Jutland official service on the telly this is also a very strong candidate.

N :thumbsup:

Nice to see you are being objective and constructive on this laudable scheme.

Yes, some ideas are more thought through than others, but this seems one of the more sensible/sustainable.

Can't think of a better way of safeguarding a part of 'England's green & pleasant Land' than by creating woodlands to commemorate those that died protecting it.

NigelS

More trees, yes but can anyone tell me how visitors will know that they are planted in the shape of a ship, I suppose a helicopter would help.

N