Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Not forgotten William Henry Griffin HMS Invincible.

beestonboxer

Would just like to add this post in the memory of 1st Class Stoker 8752 William Henry Griffin who was killed in action aboard HMS invincible when it was lost during the Battle of Jutland.
Born in Islington London 27th Oct 1891, William joined the Royal Navy in 1910. The attached photograph recently came to light in my Grandmothers old house it shows William wearing a cap tally of HMS Cochrane April 1913- August 1914. William joined HMS Invincible on the 3rd August 1914 and saw action at the Battle of Heligoland Bight and the Battle of the Falklands. HMS Invincilbe was the flagship of the 3rd Battle cruiser squadron during the battle of Jutland she was lost on the 31st May 1916 at 6.34pm with the loss of over 1000 men only six men survived the horrific explosion that ripped her in half and sent it to the bottom of the ocean.
William was my Grandmothers Brother my Great Uncle, our family is incredibly proud of Williams service and for the ultimate sacrifice he paid. He is not forgotten as all the men are not forgotten who were lost during the Battle of Jutland.
Words written on a memoriam card found with the photo " Peace Perfect Peace FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH"

post-92260-0-60864800-1464632465_thumb.j

I totally agree with your thoughts and sentiments, Beestonboxer. I wonder how many family relations are sparing a thought at this time 100 years on from the fleets leaving their bases. God rest all the men who were lost at Jutland.

:poppy:

I watched the one show tonight and it appears that the ships or at least the Mary have been plundered by salvagers.

Possibly a good idea to highlight to the members so that if they see any relics on sale they can avoid buying but also highlight to the government

authorities who do have some responsibility to monitoring wreck sites of the navy.

May he rest in Peace :poppy:

Remembering all those who served and died on HMS Invincible on 31 May 1916.

:poppy: