Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme - if you need photos

mva

Martine, for us ignorant Brits could you please confirm whereabouts 60km from you actually reaches? Are we talking as far north as Arras or even further? What about east?

Martine, for us ignorant Brits could you please confirm whereabouts 60km from you actually reaches? Are we talking as far north as Arras or even further? What about east?

It is straightforward to use Google Maps to show the route (and distance) between any two places

Martine

I would be most grateful if you could photograph the graves of:-

140 W.O.II John Herbert Fairall,
1/9th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (Queen Victoria’s Rifles).
Killed in action on 24th August, 1915
Buried in the Carnoy Military Cemetery, Somme, France.(Grave L.2.)

and

D-10032 Private William Palmer, 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards.
Killed in action on 9th August, 1918.

buried in the Caix British Cemetery, Amiens, France. (Grave I B 6).

Thank you so much for your help.

Sepoy (Trevor)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Trevor, I had not seen your message, sorry for that !

I hope to go there before the end of June, is it ok with you ?

The weather is so 'funny' now, that I take every opportunity to work in the garden, weather permitting.

I'll go when it rains ...

kind regards, Martine

Hi Martine and thanks for the offer.

I think these are in range.

Boves West Comm Extention - William Forber RGA. - C.11

La Motte-Brebiere Comm Cem - Herbert Green Cheshires. - West Side

Moreuil Comm Ext - James Dillon Devonshires. - R.22

Also

Ham British Cemetery - George McKie South Lancs. Spec Mem A7. If this is in range.

Regards,

Ste

Hello Trevor, I had not seen your message, sorry for that !

I hope to go there before the end of June, is it ok with you ?

The weather is so 'funny' now, that I take every opportunity to work in the garden, weather permitting.

I'll go when it rains ...

kind regards, Martine

Hi Martine

There is no immediate rush, I am just grateful for your offer. I understand the need to sort out the garden - every time I build up the energy to do some work in mine, it rains and I end up spending my time on the Great War Forum :) (well that is my excuse!)

Sepoy (Trevor)

Also

Ham British Cemetery - George McKie South Lancs. Spec Mem A7. If this is in range.

Regards,

Ste

hello, Ste. that's ok ! I'll go there before the end of June. Do you want low or high resolution ? Could you send me a PM with your e mail address, so that I can forward the pics. Or is there another way to send them to you (I'm new here !)

Kind regards from the Somme, Martine

not sure if Ovillers is in your area, but if so could you please photo the following: Lt. Hart LEECH plot II, row U, Grave 8

thanks in advance

Regards Bob R.

Martine-would you consider photographing the following headstones of former pupils of Bury Grammar School?

Corporal Percy Grenfell Simmonds, 20th Battalion King's (Liverpool) Regiment, died 26/6/16. Grave II L 17 Cerisy-Gailly Military Cemetery

Sergeant John Norman Leather, 20th Battalion Manchester Regiment, died 25/9/16. Grave II F 20 La Neuville British Cemetery, Corbie

Many thanks,

Mark Hone

Hello Mark, this is ok as far as the distance is concerned. Depending on the security measures End June/Early July, (and my work in the garden, depending on the weather !!!) I'll go ASAP but it may be second week of July.

Kind regards, martine

not sure if Ovillers is in your area, but if so could you please photo the following: Lt. Hart LEECH plot II, row U, Grave 8

thanks in advance

Regards Bob R.

Hello, I have sent you a PM - please be more precise : Which OVILLERS ? (there are 4 !)

Martine

I would be most grateful if you could photograph the graves of:-

140 W.O.II John Herbert Fairall,

1/9th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (Queen Victoria’s Rifles).

Killed in action on 24th August, 1915

Buried in the Carnoy Military Cemetery, Somme, France.(Grave L.2.)

and

D-10032 Private William Palmer, 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards.

Killed in action on 9th August, 1918.

buried in the Caix British Cemetery, Amiens, France. (Grave I B 6).

Thank you so much for your help.

Sepoy (Trevor)

Carnoy (Fairall) is already there : https://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3859916

& Caix 'Palmer) is there too : https://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3871884

Martine-would you consider photographing the following headstones of former pupils of Bury Grammar School?

Corporal Percy Grenfell Simmonds, 20th Battalion King's (Liverpool) Regiment, died 26/6/16. Grave II L 17 Cerisy-Gailly Military Cemetery

Sergeant John Norman Leather, 20th Battalion Manchester Regiment, died 25/9/16. Grave II F 20 La Neuville British Cemetery, Corbie

Many thanks,

Mark Hone

Cerisy-G.(Simmonds) already there : https://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3984230https://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3984230

La Neuville, Corbie (Leather) is already there : https://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3874022

Also

Regards,

Ste

Moreuil (Dillon) is already there : https://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=3790053

La Motte-Brebière (Dean) is already there : https://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=2815744

not sure if I need any (will look) but a very kind offer - especially so from a new member

On 11 June 2016 at 22:12, robins2 said:

not sure if Ovillers is in your area, but if so could you please photo the following:  Lt. Hart LEECH  plot II, row U, Grave 8

thanks in advance

Regards  Bob R.

Hi Bob

I was in Ovillers Military Cemetery today but could not find your man, there is no Plot II   row U.

After looking at the CWGC site the only Hart LEECH i could find is on the Vimy Memorial, who was killed on 15th September 1916.

Kind regards

John

Thank you John for taking the time to look, Hart Leech is indeed on the Vimy Memorial, but when I checked his Canadian records there was a Circumstances of Death form on file stating he had been exhumed from a location and buried  in Ovillers Brtish Cemetery.  I have sent an inquiry to the CWGC to try to clarify this matter.  Once again, thank you

Regards

Bob R.

Hart Leech.jpg

Thats because its Plot ELEVEN, Row U Grave 8 which does exist as can be seen on the CWGC map

I was just about to say it would be interesting if he was an unknown, but then checked on the website and it has come up with this soldier in that grave.

The plot thickens.

Screenshot_1.jpg

If you look at the CWGC file for James Graham Brown you see that orginally the exhumation was believed to be Hart Leech, interesting!

regards

John

27733469736_bc4f40562e_o.jpg

On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎19 at 04:23, temptage said:

Thats because its Plot ELEVEN, Row U Grave 8 which does exist as can be seen on the CWGC map

Thank you both for the information, as you say interesting, I note that Brown was killed one day before Leech, have not heard anything from my inquiry to CWGC as yet.

regards

Bob R.