Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Grandfather was Chief Steward on the Zara and family story says he was at the Battle of Jutland. Would the Zara as an armed merchant cruiser be going about her normal business between Lerwick and Norway and get caught up in the Battle, or were these ships stationed on the outskirts of the battle area for some reason? He was awarded the Silver War Badge on 29th May 1917 so presume he was on the Zara when she went down 13th April 1917, he was lucky to survive. I found a post on 2010 from the grandson of Zara's Master asking about the type of lifeboats used, hope he is still on the forum. Thanks for any info.

Janet

Janet

Are you confusing another ZARA, the Italian warship of the same name, one of three sunk at Jutland ?

HMY ZARA was an Auxiliary Patrol vessel of 422 grt, built 1895, and armed with 2 x 3" guns. In service from 6.3.1915 to 27.3.1919. (Dittmar and Colledge).

ZARA was a hired yacht, not an Armed Merchant Cruiser. She did not sink in 1917, remaining in service until 1919. Between, at least, October 1916 and June 1917 (and probably longer) HM Yacht ZARA was employed on the Auxiliary Patrol around the North Channel and Isle of Man. Not much place for a patrol yacht at Jutland, I suspect.

The SS ZARA was a cargo ship sunk on passage between London and Trondheim on the date given.

Edited by horatio2

• 2 weeks later...

SS Zara that I am referring to is the cargo ship that was sunk by u boat in 1917, not the Italian Zara nor the patrol boat. All the information I have gathered is from official sites. Thank you for your input, very useful.

In that case, Janet, perhaps you could amend the title of your topic to "SS ZARA", because "HMY ZARA" is misleading. ("Use Full Editor" on your first post.

SS ZARA was a defensively armed merchant ship (DAMS).

sotonmate, on 29 May 2016 - 9:14 PM, said:

Are you confusing another ZARA, the Italian warship of the same name, one of three sunk at Jutland ?

Three Italian warships sunk at Jutland ..? How have I managed to miss that all these years?

Three Italian warships sunk at Jutland ..? How have I managed to miss that all these years?

I seem to have mixed some notes - well spotted. Cape Matapan 1941 !!!

sotonmate, on 13 Jun 2016 - 10:41 PM, said:

I seem to have mixed some notes - well spotted. Cape Matapan 1941 !!!

Sympathy, Sotonmate, it's all too easily done. I got my own wires crossed the other day and gave a completely wrong answer to a question.