Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap Badges Id Please Pals.

ATNOMIS

Up date.

Thomas Paley was born 1899 and born and raised in Easington co Durham he enlisted at 15 in 1914 and served all the way through to 1918

He's on the right horse his Dad was a horse keeper in Easington pit and originally a farmer from Linton on ouse near York

From what I can make out I think the man sitting in the last picture is wearing Durham Light infantry, the King's Shropshire Light infantry or the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire light infantry but untill you see the exact detail of it i cant be sure the man standing is wearing the the rifles brigade

Hope that helps with them ones I will have a good look at the one on the horses and see what I come up with

I believe that the seated chap is a member of the Durham Light Infantry, and the standing chap is a member of the East Lancashire Regiment.

Sepoy

From what I can make out I think the man sitting in the last picture is wearing Durham Light infantry, the King's Shropshire Light infantry or the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire light infantry but untill you see the exact detail of it i cant be sure the man standing is wearing the the rifles brigade

Hope that helps with them ones I will have a good look at the one on the horses and see what I come up with

Chap standing is definitely NOT Rifle Brigade. Centre of badge is incorrect and also not wearing rifles buttons (though this on its own would not exclude RB)

We seem to have two threads running on this same set of pictures.

This version has a full service history of the man ...

He was born 1/1/1898. Attested in June 1916 and was called up from the reserve 24/3/1917 to 3rd DLI.
Went to France 27/6/1916 and transferred from 35 IBD to 2/8th Manchester Regiment in June 1916, no. 70620. To 1/5th Manchesters 13/21918. Transferred to 2nd East Lancs 18/6/1918, allotted 31722. Later joined RAVC TF 4/10/1923 for four years, no 7782694.

Had "T.P." tattooed on his left forearm to remind himself.

Can you get a close-up of the badge on the mounted man on the left? He could be one of half a dozen regiments.

Can you get a close-up of the badge on the mounted man on the left? He could be one of half a dozen regiments.

Thus probably in the 6th Bn?

6th Dragoons?

The badge of those on Horseback could be that of the Northumberland Hussars Yeomanry. The chap on the left appears to have that badge and this could fit with them coming from the Northeast?

Ive tried closer crop but the quality is terrible. Sorry

Can you scan it again at your scanner's highest resolution, and then just crop the image down just to the badge?