Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish War Memorials

Michael Pegum

Re www.irishwarmemorials.ie

I would like to introduce a new web-site, incorporating research I have been doing over the last two years. It is an inventory of memorials in the Republic of Ireland to those who died in all conflicts.

Nearly 50,000 Irishmen, and some women, died in WWI, and most of the memorials are to them. My inventory is similar to the U.K. inventory, but adds to it by having a searchable database of the names of those commemorated. It can also be searched by sites of the memorials and by regiment or service.

So far I have only about 2,300 names from 130 plus memorials, but I now hope to recruit contributors who will add details of memorials to be added to the site. It is being suggested that a terminal to access the site may be installed in the National Museum, where a major extension dealing with military history is due to open next year.

I will be interested in comments from members of the Fforum. If you have sites of your own, I would appreciate having links made to this site.

Michael Pegum

As you probably know as part of my war dead databases I have "Irelands memorial records" and am happy to do lookups.

Tom.

A beautiful website. Congratulations!

I especially like the layout, and I admire all the hard work and dedication involved.

Marika

In 1997 I organised a commemoration for Major Willie Redmond and the 16th (Irish) Division in Loker/ Locre. I remember to have contacted someone from (North?)-Ireland who was busy with a similar project: inventarisation of war memorials in Ireland. Her name was Jane Leonard, but regrettably I lost contact afterwards. I think she is now working in the Ulster Museum but don't don't know how far she got.

Erwin

Tom,

Thanks for the offer. I am making raw data available: simply what anyone can see if they visit the memorials. I originally planned to de research on the people named, but decided that it would be more useful to get as much information as possible out there, and let those interested in individuals do their own research, when "Ireland's Memorial Records" would be a starting point. I felt it was importane to work on the basis that the most important thing about the memorials was the names, and letting people see the actual inscriptions.

Marika,

Many thanks for the kind words. I must pay tribute to my website designers, who made it very easy for me to add more data.

Erwin,

I believe Jane Leonard is still in the Ulster Museum. She spoke at a symposium in the National Museum in Dublin in October. You will see the memorial in Wexford to Major Willie Redmond on my website.

Michael Pegum