Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H. Andrews 199th Siege Battery....

jcalhoun

Hello all,

Doing some quick research on the movements of the 199 Siege Battery in 1918, when they were a part of the 54 HAG. I've got the war diaries for the brigade from the archives, but there is nothing for the 199 SB at all, and there is a gap in the brigade diary from Feb-Aug 1918. (I'm actually trying to infer the movements of the 262 SB from the movements of the 199 SB).

I'm trying to work around this gap in the records, and found the following at the IWM: H. Andrews Private Papers. Documents.21809

"A ms transcription of a contemporary diary (116pp) relating to his service as a Bombardier in 199th Siege Battery, Royal Artillery, on the Western Front (January 1917 - December 1918), with daily entries, including details of being evacuated due to effects of a gas attack (July - August 1918), and also including a record of casualties from 199 Siege Battery in 1918. Together with a copy of the Daily News Map of the British Battle Front (1917) with ms annotations by Andrews showing his locations."

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030028635

Can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of this short of visiting the IWM? (I'm on the west coast of Canada, and a UK trip is not in the cards at the moment). Does anyone have a copy? I've been clicking around the IWM website for the past 20 mins, and I can't seem to find a scanning service.

Cheers,

James

Hello all,

Doing some quick research on the movements of the 199 Siege Battery in 1918, when they were a part of the 54 HAG. I've got the war diaries for the brigade from the archives, but there is nothing for the 199 SB at all, and there is a gap in the brigade diary from Feb-Aug 1918. (I'm actually trying to infer the movements of the 262 SB from the movements of the 199 SB).

I'm trying to work around this gap in the records, and found the following at the IWM: H. Andrews Private Papers. Documents.21809

"A ms transcription of a contemporary diary (116pp) relating to his service as a Bombardier in 199th Siege Battery, Royal Artillery, on the Western Front (January 1917 - December 1918), with daily entries, including details of being evacuated due to effects of a gas attack (July - August 1918), and also including a record of casualties from 199 Siege Battery in 1918. Together with a copy of the Daily News Map of the British Battle Front (1917) with ms annotations by Andrews showing his locations."

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1030028635

Can anyone tell me how I can get a copy of this short of visiting the IWM? (I'm on the west coast of Canada, and a UK trip is not in the cards at the moment). Does anyone have a copy? I've been clicking around the IWM website for the past 20 mins, and I can't seem to find a scanning service.

Cheers,

James

This seems to be the form - https://iwm.altarama.com/reft120.aspx

Craig