Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Glory Hole. La Boisselle.

nikp

On 13/08/2016 at 16:22, egbert said:

...the German side was under represented=non represented, because the responsible office was never involved, nor informed.

I have some pretty good contacts to the German VdK and I asked them when the GH hype ended whether they knew about the activities to include dealing with possible bodies from the site. They responded that NO. Also the standing VdK rep in
France was not informed. I have commented on that fact also on the LBStudy Group website why CWGC and all kind of agencies were involved and the German side was neglected that deals with missing soldiers.

Surely, agencies which deal with remains of soldiers would only be contacted when remains of soldiers were found. To my knowledge, no German remains have been found on the site. If they were, the relevant authorities would surely have been informed, regardless of nationality. To suggest anything else is unfair without evidence.

Ken, I strongly suggest you read the latest information in the other follow-up thread on the glory hole with its information about the found German soldier as well as the supporting News section on the original LBSG website.

The VdK has been informed and they have conveyed that they are investigating and are in contact with CWGC. Are you suggesting that my statement from 13.8.16 is a lie or that of the LBSG?

Edited by egbert

Please - it is not about any lies, official bodies work in mysterious ways and undoubtedly have formal agreements about the points at which notifications are sent. I spent too many years in public service not to be unaware that processes generally work, but don't always. For example, I am sure that once a discovery is reported to the French authorities, they determine initially who should be involved. They may or may not take such actions themselves or delegate them.  

I suggest that IF a decision is ever taken by the landowners or any archaeological group with their permission, to extend work in that area that all appropriate parties would be notified. Any work would have to be approved by the DRAC the relevant French authority and they would determine the procedures in line with French law and that internationally agreed procedures would determine what communications take place.

Keith

On ‎07‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 10:16, egbert said:

The VdK has been informed and they have conveyed that they are investigating and are in contact with CWGC

Sorry-I should have been more precise: "The VdK has been informed by me and........"

After reviewing the issue, the VdK confirmed through my official VdK contacts, that they had never been informed by any of the participating/involved private entity, nor official agencies,  that worked or supervised the activities on the glory hole about the German soldier find.

The German body find was never recovered, instead (re-)covered with dirt fill at the end of "excavation" and subsequently is an irreparable loss, because they did not give the VdK any chance to care/organize a recovery .

Edited by egbert

• 2 weeks later...

I was proud to attend the funerals of Privates Harry Carter and William Marmon earlier today in an entirely personal and private capacity. .  The funeral was attended by relatives of both soldiers and by arrangement with the owners of the site the relatives were I understand taken in the afternoon to see the Glory Hole and the specific area where their bodies were recovered. 

Keith

I have deleted the previous three posts

Cheers Martin B

To follow up Martin's comment above, please no more comments of any kind making allegations (veiled or otherwise) of any sort against individuals or organisations. This forum is not the place for that. Please consider this a final warning

Thank you

Alan

For Goodness' sake! Does everyone think the Mods have nothing better to do?

Thank you mods, this topic seems like a hot potato, I wanted to know what was the Glory hole in danger from to be posted in the "Battlefields in danger" Topics.

Ah well!! I suppose I'll have remain ignorant of fellow forum members thoughts

best regards

Tom

Tom

It was there because that was the choice of the original poster. No more no less.

Keith

• 1 year later...

Just returned from Somme and have to say I had a marvellous time at the Glory Hole under the expert guidance of Claudie Llewelyn.

Thank you forum members for the contact info and I would heartily recommend this as a highlight of any visit.

Claudie replied instantly for my request for a visit to the site and the tunnel and even though there were only the two of us she spent well over 2 hours explaining the site.

Through my basic knowledge of WW1 history I knew the British history of the site but she enlightened me to the dramatic French actions over the same ground prior to the British actions.

The tunnel itself is fantastic combined with the cratered site made for a brilliant morning.

Claudie took so much time telling us how through contact of Great War forum members here, when initially as the land owners they had wanted to build on the border of the site she became aware of the historical significance of the glory hole. Since then they have been battling unsuccessfully with the French authorities to get the site recognised and more importantly protected.

Her knowledge of it had us both spellbound.

We saw a very rare German Machine gun nest on the lip of one crater which fortuneatly was never excavated or touched along with many other interesting points of interest.

Her husband came after one hour and he took us down the tunnels and as a Welsh man was very familiar with mining was able to tell us details that only someone experienced with this work could know.

The cost to view the site is far too low and we couldn’t in all conscience give her the small amount asked considering the time she spent.

I hope they have success in getting the site recognised locally.

I heartily recommend and will be back again.

Ian

B931D1FB-9ED0-434A-8E1B-E08013D3065D.jpeg

3B6142AD-E8BC-4217-A2AD-1930D675E924.jpeg

7D1A69B7-9FD5-4390-8BE6-3E5A9303F02F.jpeg

CA15E9AC-110E-42A0-8356-EC326DA89890.jpeg

Hi Onlyme,

got your message :-)

Great write up.

Len