The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kapitanleutnant Herbert Ehrlich

John Beech

Morning All

Does anyone know a source for a picture of Kapitanleutnant Herbert Ehrlich, who commanded Zeppelins during WW1. I am interested in him as he was the original commander of L-17. Whilst most books make reference to him and his flights, i have so far not been able to find a confirmed image of him

Regards

John

Hi Charlie

I am most grateful. I have written to the archivist at the Zeppelin Museum in Friedrichshafen but am awaiting a reply. None of the books I have mentioning Ehrlich includes a photo and i cannot find any on-line articles which have a picture of him.

Ehrlich was born in Dresden on 20th March 1884, and was the son of Admiral Alfred Ehrlich who also served in WW1. Ehrlich served on airships from May 1915 and must have led a somewhat charmed life as he survived the war. In addition to L-17 he commanded L-35 and L-61

He was to die on 12th December 1921 in Schwenningen from the effects of surgery in hospital

Regards

john

There is a photo of Herbert Ehrlich on page 270 of "Zeppeline - der kaiserlichen Marine 1914 bis 1918" by Heinz Urban. Urban is the owner of the Zeppelin Museum at Meersburg.

There is also a a group photo of Zeppelin commanders reproduced in Doug Robinson's "The Zeppelin in Combat" which includes Ehrich in the line-up. In the 1994 edition it is on page 285.

In the marine ranklist of 1914 I didn´t find an Admiral Ehrlich. Only a Kapitänleutnant Herbert Ehrlich. In 1914 he served as a teacher on SMS Albatros

and

post-35295-0-43658100-1464519083_thumb.j

post-35295-0-91937000-1464519118_thumb.j

Aspern and The Prussian

Many thanks for the additional information. I will follow up both books.

As for his father, the information came from a Danish website and they have his father as Vize Admiral in 1914. I suppose he could have already retired and been recalled?

Regards

John

Hello,

According to the Ehrenrangliste Herbet Ehrlich transferred to the Marine-Luftschiffer-Abteilung in December 1914, and served on L5, L17, L35 and L61, he was a Kommandant from August 1918 onwards, served as III. Admiralstabs-Offizier in the Befehlshaber der Seestreitkräfte der Nordsee until the end of the war.

ausser Dienst 11 August 1919 "charakterisiert" as Korvettenkapitän

Jan

His father, Alfred Ehrlich, was born on 23 September 1854, officer since April 1875 and Vizeadmiral (a. D.) since 13 May 1916. He was Kommandant der Befestigung des Reichskriegshafens Wilhelmshafen from October 1914 to June 1916. He died on 20 January 1926.

Jan

Hi Jan

Thanks for the confirmation that Alfred Ehrlich did in fact serve in WW1

Regards

John