Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th KRRC Rifleman John Parsons Y/794

Slaphead71

Looking for any help researching my Great Grandfather below;

Rifleman John Parsons Y/794 8th KRRC KIA 24/08/16, I think I found that the above was probably killed in The Battle Of Delville Wood as they took the wood the very next day following his death. just trying to pinpoint it any further if possible.

Has anybody come across any photos of the above 8 KRRC?

Also is there any record of which men were in which company?

Many Thanks,

Garry Parsons

Hi Garry

Welcome to the Forum. Apologies if you know this...your g/grandfather's service records are on Ancestry, no doubt one of the "experts" will pick up the thread.

Google 8th KRRC Photos

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Thanks fella, yes Ive found bits n bobs on there and their war diaries etc. I cant find any photos, company listings etc.

We have no photos at all of him or now what company he was in within 8 KRRC.

Hi Garry,

Almost inevitably it won't answer your question, and probably won't add to what you already know, but if you haven't already got it he does have a surviving will. For the couple that I've bought, they are of questionable value at £10 a go though.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, i'll have a butchers. Collecting all I can as all we have are his war medals. No photos at all so im piecing things together from various sites. Thanks for your help.

Have replied to your other topic on 8/KRRC.wrt photos

Relevant entry from the 8/KKRC War Record in the 1916 KRRC Chronicle ...

"On the 23rd [August 1916] A and C Companies were again in the front line at Hop Alley, the south corner of Delville Wood.

The next day [24 Aug 1916], during the afternoon, after an intensive bombardment, A and D Companies attacked the enemy from Hop Alley and Beer Alley. They were supported by two Companies of the 8th Rifle Brigade, with 42nd Brigade assisting in the left flank.

The bombardment failed to cut the enemy's wire, and our Stokes guns devoted most of their attention to our own trenches, adding to which the field barrage was directed behind the enemy's trenches all the time. Thus it came about that our attack was not successful, only a few men of D Company reaching the enemy's lines, and these had to withdraw during darkness.

The 42nd Brigade made good progress. Both during and after the attack the Germans put up a severe barrage on the Hop Alley line, and B and C Companies had to be brought up to strengthen the other two Companies, who had suffered severely. This they did 'over the open,' and there were, fortunately, surprisingly few casualties. During the night we were relived by the 7th Battalion, and returned to Pommier's Trench. Amongst the casualties in this affair were 2nd Lieuts. Huntingdon and Todd-Naylor, killed; and 2nd Lieuts. Wood and F. G. Scott, wounded."

Hi Garry

Welcome to the Forum. Apologies if you know this...your g/grandfather's service records are on Ancestry, no doubt one of the "experts" will pick up the thread.

Google 8th KRRC Photos

Regards Barry

Unfortunately I do not have Ancestry access at present.

John Parsons was definitely killed in action, rather than died of wounds, so would have fallen in the action described above

:poppy:

He enlisted in Birmingham, where he was also born.

Thats great thank you very much. Its all coming together now. Cheers.

His medal roll entry confirms he only ever served in 8/KRRC.

You should read the major topic we have on the 1915 Hooge Liquid Fire attack as well. Your great grandfather would have been involved in the counter-attacks.

Thanks again Fella, very grim reading but so interesting! What these guys went through should never ever be forgotten and taught in every school in the land!