Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Domenico Martinoli- Sergeant Major V.C?

chloeilustrates

This is a bit of a long shot but thought I'd see if I can shed any light on my great grandfathers military past in WW1.

I've recently found this article on his marriage to my great grandmother in the Irish Times from 1920. (She was a Dubliner living in London where she met Domenico who was now chef-ing in London) but it states Domenico as a Sergeant Major V.C?!

I can't find his name in any of the v.c lists, so not sure if it means something else being Italian/Swiss? He would have been in London at the time of WW1 so could have joined up here?

The only other information we know is that my Mam recalls it being said that he and two others came out of his regiment alive somewhere. It's all very vague but if I can drum up any more info I'll add it to this post.

Many thanks!

Chloe

post-53553-0-90893700-1464256261_thumb.j

Chloe

Hate to say this but no Sergeant Major by the name of Domenico Martinoli was awarded the Victoria Cross during the Great War. I can't find any record of a soldier with that name on the British Army medal card index cards so if he did serve in the British Army, he either didn't serve abroad or didn't use his own name.

Do you know whether he came from, lived or had any connection with Vercelli in Piedmont as the accepted abbreviation for that city is V.C? If that's the case, this would seem to be misunderstanding (accidental or otherwise) on behalf of the newspaper or the person placing the notice

Yep that's what I found. The misunderstanding of the V.C being an area of where he's from does tally with where he lived in northern Italy and where the family there was. So that would make sense.

It also transpires he was in London in 1911 but he had gone at some point to visit and stay with his brother Pompeo Angelo, in New York (whose military record can be found) and had gone back to Italy too! He's a bit of a man of mystery until he gets married!

Annoyingly I'd be able to check passenger lists etc but I couldn't afford the subscription to Ancestry anymore, as this could help to track his movements and whereabouts.

Yep that's what I found. The misunderstanding of the V.C being an area of where he's from does tally with where he lived in northern Italy and where the family there was. So that would make sense.

It also transpires he was in London in 1911 but he had gone at some point to visit and stay with his brother Pompeo Angelo, in New York (whose military record can be found) and had gone back to Italy too! He's a bit of a man of mystery until he gets married!

Annoyingly I'd be able to check passenger lists etc but I couldn't afford the subscription to Ancestry anymore, as this could help to track his movements and whereabouts.

He left Boston and arrived at Liverpool on 10 Oct 1907.

Craig

Ah thanks Craig, any sign of him heading back to Italy or mainland Europe after 1912?

Ah thanks Craig, any sign of him heading back to Italy or mainland Europe after 1912?

I could only find that one mention on the records I have.

Craig