Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Morfa Camp, Conwy

mancpal

Does anybody know the precise location of Morfa camp and what is on the site now?

I've seen a couple of pictures and I wonder if it is where Conwy Golf Club stands though the shots I've seen weren't great

Thanks

Simon

I remember it as the Mountain Training Centre, Morfa Camp, Tonfanau, as I ended up in the MRS there. A bit of googling shows it at GR 580013.

Thanks, I'll route out my map

Simon

Does anybody know the precise location of Morfa camp and what is on the site now?

I've seen a couple of pictures and I wonder if it is where Conwy Golf Club stands though the shots I've seen weren't great

Thanks

Simon

Yes, where the Golf Club is in the area where Morfa Camp was located.

Hywyn

Thanks for the confirmation. I've just seen a couple of other shots which make it more obvious. We have a caravan at Aberconwy Park so we're right next door.

Regards

Simon

Tonfanau (near Tywyn) is a different camp and about 70 miles away from Morfa Camp, Conwy.

Whoops ! Well it was more than half a century since I was there, and I was in a bad way ! Delirious and near death, they told me, so I hope I can be excused.

Sorry !

We have a caravan at Aberconwy Park so we're right next door.

Very brave of you to have a caravan in Wales' Tornado Alley!

Hywyn,

Thanks for the links. The caravan is on the left as you look at the golf course from the A55, fabulous sunsets!

Simon

Whoops ! Well it was more than half a century since I was there, and I was in a bad way ! Delirious and near death, they told me, so I hope I can be excused.

Sorry !

:thumbsup:

Dai Bach,

You're not kidding about tornado alley. This winters storms absolutely trashed a couple of caravans, one of which looked like someone had taken a tin opener to it. As I live quite high up in the Pennines strong winds are something I'm used to but if all gets a bit much when in Conwy I head for the marvellous Albion Inn to slurp some of the broad range of ales available, I usually sleep through anything after that!

Regards

Simon

Ah fond recall of some thirty or so years ago camping/caravanning on the Council run site at Morfa now occupied by £200k lodges etc.

Our children rock pooling near the golf course, in front of what appeared to be brick built firing points for hours, and their favourite haul was spent bullets. Really heavy bronze in appearance

stock piled as treasure.

The youngest aged about seven unearthed a FS style commando dagger which he still has in remarkable condition.

By pure chance he served six years as Royal Marine Commando many years later.

Sorry for hi jack.

Morfa.

An interesting word.

It literally means "Sea Place".

A sea shore, or more typically a coastal strip of land that can be sandy or marshy.

But sometimes, like Morfa Gwyllt near Garreg, Llanfrothen, or Glan Morfa or Morfa Mawr, Pentre Berw , Anglesey can be a few miles inland.

Because the sea used to reach those places within the last 300 years, but has receded particularly because of man made embankments.

Quite often the only flat bit of land for miles around.

Terry

Thanks for the reference. It appears our caravan is on the edge of the site.

Dai Bach

Thanks for the translation. Any chance of translating this - "Bl©®√y h*#l, it's windy round here".

Regards

Simon

Thanks for the translation. Any chance of translating this - "Bl©®√y h*#l, it's windy round here".

Yes, that's a colloquialism from coastal parts which translates roughly as :

"It's the nicest day of the year so far!"

Dai Bach,

We have a traditional saying here also - the worst winter I ever endured was a summers day in Saddleworth. Could we have discovered a new international language?

Simon

Dai Bach,

We have a traditional saying here also - the worst winter I ever endured was a summers day in Saddleworth.

Simon

I can recall many a Rugby League match at ye olde Watersheddings. Cold wet and windy indeed.

Edited by tom bowler

Tom

I can only assume that cold wet and windy refers to the half-time pie and peas.

Simon

I remember it as the Mountain Training Centre, Morfa Camp, Tonfanau, as I ended up in the MRS there. A bit of googling shows it at GR 580013.

But there was a Morfa camp at Tywyn! By 1970 it was known as the married men's camp. Its at the north western end of the town about a mile away from the main camp of Tonfannau. I attended secondary school at Tywyn, and a few of my mates were army kids at Morfa. Both Tonfannau and Morfa closed I think in 1971.

Tom

Simon

Certainly NOT at Signatures, suerly? ^_^

Tom

Simon

Watersheddings was well known as the coldest Rugby League ground in the country. T'was freezing even in the summer. The ground was not too far from the Old Blacke Ladd pub & restaurant.

Geraint,

Not only have I never stepped foot in Signatures, I don't have a Range Rover or a yacht at the marina. I'm more at the bully beef end of the market, shop at Aldi and cook in the caravan. It's a family caravan and I had no choice (or financial input) in its location though my extremely lazy greyhound loves it as he literally only has yards to walk to reach the beach.

Tom

Despite the demise of Watersheddings, The Blacke Ladd is still alive and well and they have finally removed the hideous mock Tudor 'beams' from the exterior. I must add that I've never been in there either though that's only because I've tended to fall through the doors of other pubs nearer my house and haven't made it that far up Grains Rd yet.

Regards

Simon

But there was a Morfa camp at Tywyn! By 1970 it was known as the married men's camp. Its at the north western end of the town about a mile away from the main camp of Tonfannau. I attended secondary school at Tywyn, and a few of my mates were army kids at Morfa. Both Tonfannau and Morfa closed I think in 1971.

And of course Tonfanau famously reopened to offer sanctuary for thousands of Ugandan Asians having been expelled by insane despot Idi Amin.