Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Richard Jefferson E Yorks regt 28525

jaybee9

I can't find either a service or pension record for this man.

His medal index card records that he enlisted 18 Jan 1911, was discharged 15 Feb 1918 & was awarded Victory & British war medals.

(I'm unsure whether he was a regular or a territorial as he was recorded at the parental home in the 1911 census return, assisting his father with the family farm.)

A silver war badge was issued 13 Feb 1918 - this record states he had served overseas.

In a 1936 newspaper article about his current financial difficulties, Richard stated that "he had lost an arm in the war" and also that he received a pension of 21s per week.

Where else can I look to find out more about this man and fill in some of the gaps, please? Thanks.

Jaybee

That number would suggest a wartime date of issue but it could be he was transferred during the war and renumbered.

Do you know anything else about his service? Family stories etc.

Craig

Thanks for your interest, Craig.

No, I don't know any more about him, unfortunately. He is one of the 70+ men recorded on the roll of honour in our village church and I, perhaps rather foolishly, decided it was time someone tried to find out who they all were.

Jaybee

Thanks for your interest, Craig.

No, I don't know any more about him, unfortunately. He is one of the 70+ men recorded on the roll of honour in our village church and I, perhaps rather foolishly, decided it was time someone tried to find out who they all were.

Jaybee

There's always soon willing fool who does so and then spends years chasing the men - I'm doing the same with the 6th DLI and trying to re-build a nominal roll.

Craig

He only served overseas with the 8th East Yorks. #28539 was allocated to a man in Jan 17 at Etaples.

Craig

I suspect your task is somewhat larger than mine, Craig, and I wish you well.

Unfortunately the inclusion of "J Ward," "M Wilson" and "J Davy" etc on my list hasn't proved helpful.

Jaybee

Thank you for the information in post 5. I had thought he couldn't have been in France until late 1915 at the earliest, due to not being awarded a 14/15 star. I will go onto the LLT and research the later East Yorks regimental movements.

Jaybee

I suspect your task is somewhat larger than mine, Craig, and I wish you well.

Unfortunately the inclusion of "J Ward," "M Wilson" and "J Davy" etc on my list hasn't proved helpful.

Jaybee

I don't envy yours - the majority of men on my list could be tracked by service number (even if just to narrow the suspects). I don't generally just have a surname and initial. Good luck.

If your man was a 1911 territorial (as suggested by the SWB) then he would have become time expired in 1915 but retained for the extra year under war time conditions. By the time he was ready for release he would have been retained under the MSA 1916 and could then have been sent wherever the army wanted.

Craig

Craig thanks again for the additional helpful information above.

I'm still at kindergarten level when it comes to military history, but I am really enjoying reading around (and across) WW1 topics.

Jaybee