Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serjeant 10606 Daley (Sherwood Foresters)

b3aver

Hi All. Looking for help on the movements of Thomas Daley(sometimes Daly).

He was BEF 1914 having joined 2nd battalion in 1908. He survived the war and SWB discharge in March 1919. I am looking for any possible info on his transfer date from 2nd Battalion to 11th Battalion, or details on his actions awarding his MM (gazetted Aug 1919) or promotions.

He was wounded on 2 occasions as well but I can't find any info on this either. Just wondered if any old sweat can shed any light on this man who was a rare member of the original army that, I assume, also went to Asiago Plateau.

I am planning on taking his son to visit the areas where he fought during the nearly five long years of war that this man managed to survive. He is in his late 80's but would like to visit as the family were not even aware of the history let alone his MM(no medals were ever seen and war never mentioned until research started in 2014!) I have info on both Battalions movements during the war, and actions at Guisancourt Farm in 1918 but can find no mention by name(or rank) to give clues to his personal involvement during the war. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

David

He was noted on a casualty list of 01 Oct 14 as having been wounded and, as of 9 Nov 14, being in 5th Northern General Hospital.

Craig

Thanks Craig that is very helpful. How do you find this info so quickly. I have searched all over the place and just hit a wall every time!

I appreciate your assistance and will add it to my research. Best regards, David

Thanks Craig that is very helpful. How do you find this info so quickly. I have searched all over the place and just hit a wall every time!

I appreciate your assistance and will add it to my research. Best regards, David

It's in the British Newspaper Archive's newspaper collection (also available on Find My Past (who do a free 14 day trial )

Craig

Looks like he got it for various good work then, as it is August 1919. Sadly like so many, nothing concrete as to why he got it. Not normally a citation given. No mention in 11th Diary of him getting it prior to end of war and the diarist did list recipients.

Really odd that he does not seem to get a mention anywhere.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I'll keep on searching, something may come up from other soldiers stories that were connected to the battalion. Its strange, like you say, to have no mention.

David.

The "Men from the Greenwood" lists him, but as Stave says no details

post-4619-0-13310300-1464242943_thumb.jp

Yes Steve, I have exhausted most of them and I am continuing to search through letters and diaries of individuals that were in the same divisions, just incase he gets a mention, long job but very enlightening. Hard to know when to stop getting sidetracked by some of the personal stories.