Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where exactly was Palace Camp?

Ken Wayman

In researching units of 56th Division prior to the Battle of Langemarck on 16th August 1917, I keep coming across references in battalion war diaries to 'Palace Camp', in the Ouderdom area. For example, 1/7th Middlesex were there from 7th to 11th August 1917 before moving up the line to Chateau Segard.

Try as I might, I cannot locate Palace Camp on the relevant Trench Maps. I have found Micmac Camp, Canal Reserve Camp and so forth but Palace Camp remains a mystery. I have located 'II Camp', (perhaps referring to II Corps?) just to the west of Micmac Camp (H.31.55.18.) but no Palace Camp.

Is any kind soul able to offer a trench map reference for Palace Camp, please?

Many thanks

Ken

Could it be Gin Palace Farm within D Camp at 28NW1 A30a 7.7 ?

Or

In the Divisional Diary for the 7th August 1917 it mentions bombing of the Poperinge/Ouderdom Road in the vicinity of Camp 141. Close to this road at 28NW3 G8a,b,d is a Peerless Camp

Eddie

Found a reference to it in the 2/Wilts war diary, PALACE CAMP (H.25.c.4.0, BELGIUM & FRANCE sheet 28), I can never work out the grid reference's so over to someone who can.

If I'm reading the map right the only camp there on any maps is Downshire Camp. Found the same reference to Palace Camp with same map reference in the 7th Battalion Bedfordshire regiment as well.

Eddie, Steve

Many thanks for your help.

Eddie, they're both great contenders! I like the idea of 'Peerless' Camp - that would be a typical 'Tommy' corruption!

Steve, Palace Camp from the 2/Wiltshire War Diary sounds a good bet; fortunately I'm okay with trench map refs most of the time.

I'll have a good mull over the 'possibles'.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you.

Ken

• 5 weeks later...

Success! Purely by chance!

Checking through 18 Division HQ war diary etc I came across a map that detailed all the back areas used by the division during August 1917.

As far as I can work out, Palace Camp is on the road that runs south-eastwards out of Ouderdom. The camp is at H.25.c.39.05, several hundred yards before reaching Micmac Camp.

I've posted it in case anybody looks for it in future.

Thanks to all who put forward suggestions. Much appreciated.

Ken