Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card

Maxwellious

Hello all, i would be very grateful for some help in understanding my great grandfathers WW1 medal card, i have enclosed the email from the national archives that shows my great grandfather Harry Waghorn (4584).

I am trying to understand what the clasp & roses means on his card and the writing in the remarks column, i am also trying to piece together the theaters and possible locations he served. I used to speak to my nan about her father and she used to say that he came back a totally different person, very quiet and mature. With this in mind i can only imagine the horrors he witnessed.

We have been fortunate to find his pre war records and these make interesting reading along with letters from my great grandmother to the paymaster. We are going to France in August and it would be really nice to visit some of the locations.

Thank you

SCopier16052514140.pdf

There is a helpful explanation here: http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/themedals.html

The site also gives a good starting point for tracking British Army units throughout the war.

keith

There is a helpful explanation here: http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/themedals.html

The site also gives a good starting point for tracking British Army units throughout the war.

keith

Keith

Same post made with the Ancestry image of the MIC in February 2015 http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225119#entry2232943

Sam

If a medal card does not have an entry under 'theatre of war' does that definitely mean that they did not serve abroad?

I have one for Kenneth Lloyd, Monmouth Regiment no. 315500 and Irish Rifles 45741 with no further detail on it.

Many thanks

If a medal card does not have an entry under 'theatre of war' does that definitely mean that they did not serve abroad?

I have one for Kenneth Lloyd, Monmouth Regiment no. 315500 and Irish Rifles 45741 with no further detail on it.

Many thanks

No - it just means he served abroad after 31 Dec 15. They stopped (in most cases) adding the date when it ceased to relevant for medal purposes.

Craig

Many thanks

Take a look at the link I posted. or visit the National Archives website which also has an explanation of the qualifying conditions for medals. Most medals, required service in a "theatre of war" as a condition, but the detailed rules varied slightly which is why it is better to look at the guidance I mention

Keith