Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Rimes Tank Corps

Gareth Davies

Dear All

Could one of you good souls please have a look at the records of 84191 Pte Rimes. He died on 26 Dec 18 and at that time he was serving in the Tank Corps and this is reflected on his headstone in Farcet cemetery. But the Graves Registration Report Form (and the war memorial in the churchyard) list him as MGC. Was he a 1916/1917 MGC Heavy Section or Heavy Branch man?

Mob 24 11 1916 to Middlesex Regt. Trans MGC 30 2 1917. To BEF 12 11 1917 255 Coy. Taken PoW 23 3 1918. Died 'flu/pneumonia 26 12 1918. Couldn't readily see the words Heavy Section/Heavy Branch but will look again if 255 Coy doesn't answer the query.

edit:

His death cert says MGC. Can't see anything about his return to UK and possible transfer to Tanks in that short period before his death.

Thank you.

He was real MGC (as opposed to Heavy Section/Heavy Branch MGC). But when did he transfer to the Tank Corps; sometime between Nov 17 and Mar 18 I presume?

I think my edit wasn't there when you posted.

No suggestion of a transfer. It was OC 47 Bn that reported him 'Missing' 23 3 1918. 255 Coy went into 47 Bn March 1918 according to LLT.

Having a struggle finding him in the Red Cross PoW files.

The Family Form was sent out Dec 1919.

Effects Form 118A dated 22 8 1919 sent (from War Office) to OiC Records MGC refering to him as 84191 in MGC.

And lastly, he was PoW to 19/12/1918. Not much of a window for a transfer at that stage and nil seen to that effect either.

Thank you. His CWGC record says Tank Corps and so does his headstone.

But the memorial panel says MGC which fits with what you have posted.

post-61373-0-84701100-1464193950_thumb.j

post-61373-0-42155400-1464194015_thumb.j

Thanks for your help and thank you for sending through the documents hywyn. I think we can safely say that Rimes was never in the Tank Corps; we was mainstream MGC (as opposed to Heavy Section/Heavy Branch). I will speak to the CWGC.

You've seen that the GRRF was originally typed MGC then what looks like 'I F' written in pencil making it look like MIGFC then all of that crossed out and replaced with MGC in pencil?

Then the GR register says he's Tank Corps.

TEW

There are a number of records on FMP under 84191 'Rimell' but it is him, they have just got the name wrong. All suggest MGC, no TC or Heavy sect.