Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Maureene

Now available: digitisation of Monthly Army Lists: NLS

Maureene

The National Library of Scotland, which has previously digitised Quarterly Army Lists, is in the process of digitising Monthly Army Lists.

"We have digitised these books over the past months and are currently preparing them for online delivery through our website, alongside our other digitised Military Lists. We expect them to be online later this summer and hope that many readers find them a valuable addition to our digitised collections".

The Quarterly Army Lists provide details of career officers, while the Monthly Army Lists provide details of temporary officers.

Cheers

Maureen

Edit: The Lists to be digitised appear to be 1913-1919

Edit: Title edited to show now available.

Edited by Maureene

delta

This will be a very useful additional research source

alf mcm

This is an excellent idea. I can see this resource being very well used.

Regards,

Alf McM

Staffsyeoman

Except when you try to download them... "error in server application".  

A lot of these have been around for a while, but nice to see (potentially) more readily available.

Maureene

Thanks for advising Alf McM.  I have edited the title of this topic to show the Lists are now available.

I was able to read a volume online with no problems, but did not try to download one. Anyone with download problems should advise the National Library of Scotland, so they can fix the problem.

Staffsyeoman, I was not aware of any Monthly Lists being online previously, except for a few on the Hathi Trust Digital Library only accessible by those in areas such as North America. Where were you able to previously able to access them?

Cheers

Maureen

lostinspace

FYI, I just downloaded (as pdf files) August and September, 1914, as well as May, 1940. Works fine.

Dave

Maureene

There are now some Monthly Army Lists online for the 1880s.

Monthly Army List, editions from September 1881 to December 1885 Digital Collection, Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford. Most digital files appear to contain two monthly Lists. Personal experience was that a file was slow to download. Note these are copies of Google Book files, so those in North America etc may be able to find the Google Books file, and read online and search.

Cheers

Maureen