Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Group photo. Boer war? Opinions on Rgt. etc please

asanewt

Off topic maybe but possible that one of our WW1 soldiers is here.

Photo acquired by one of those unlikeliest pure flukes. Thanks for looking.

post-40034-0-27517800-1464089091_thumb.j

Boer War or just post, but with the larger marquee in the background I wonder if it is a Volunteer Camp, as some of them adopted similar fashion just after.

Also the mixture of shirts could indicate part-timers

As two of them appear to be wearing a blue serge frock, I wonder if the Volunteer camp makes sense. It certainly has that sort of feel about it.

A bicycle wheel showing on the left- possibly volunteer cyclists battalion?

The barely visible front of the rack looks similar to some here-

https://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/the-military-roadster/

Just thoughts!

Scott

Just one minor thing to help with dating image.

Their MLE rifles do not have clearing rods. Clearing rods were removed from British Service in May 1899 so the image can be reliably dated as not earlier than then.

Chris

For the guy at the 2nd from right at the back - what's the insignia on his lower sleeves ? Crossed rifles for a marksman ?.

Craig

For the guy at the 2nd from right at the back - what's the insignia on his lower sleeves ? Crossed rifles for a marksman ?.

Craig

I think it is the braided "knotwork" (or whatever the braid/lace embellishment is called) on the cuffs of his jacket.

I think it is the braided "knotwork" (or whatever the braid/lace embellishment is called) on the cuffs of his jacket.

I'd go for that.

There's a badge on the slouch hats, but I can't make out anything other than a smallish blob on top of a larger blob - some sort of circle-with-a-crown device, perhaps, along the lines of e.g volunteer battalions like the Dumbartonshire Rifle Volunteers, the Border ditto, or the Isle of Wight Rifles, etc; or even a fusiliers grenade?

Cheers, Pat

Just one minor thing to help with dating image.

Their MLE rifles do not have clearing rods. Clearing rods were removed from British Service in May 1899 so the image can be reliably dated as not earlier than then.

Chris

Good point there. Note also that the visible bayonet frogs (e.g., the one in the foreground on the piles of fabric) are whitened - blancoed if you like! Likewise belts and slings. May not be relevant (and probably isn't), but I have always (never having checked on it) thought that white frogs were parade use, although vaguely remembering that blanco was for all-purpose use. Happy to be corrected on that!

There's a badge on the slouch hats, but I can't make out anything other than a smallish blob on top of a larger blob - some sort of circle-with-a-crown device, perhaps, along the lines of e.g volunteer battalions like the Dumbartonshire Rifle Volunteers, the Border ditto, or the Isle of Wight Rifles, etc; or even a fusiliers grenade?

Cheers, Pat

Of course any battalion following the Rifles tradition would not be wearing 'orrid buff leather, but the man in what looks like a khaki jacket does appear to be in black buttons

Thanks for the support. Excellent observations as usual. Especially pleased with some words that have come up. Will put another photo up soon to test for connection/facial recognition.

Didn't want to prompt initially so will let it run a bit. Anything particular about the sash centre rear?

We're back. Was hoping for connections to these men. To be fair we did get "Fusiliers" and "Volunteers" etc so thanks for that. The trek continues.

We've posted this one before on a separate thread.

post-40034-0-46938800-1464294289_thumb.j

In the large photo they look as though they belong to a Volunteer Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers and in the first post they too are Fusiliers. Any photographers mark on either of them?

Tanks for all the input. We know the second photo is Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Volunteers late 1890's.

Now assuming the first photo is the same but unsure about date/location.