Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

crocheted poppies at Chelsea Flower Show

Moonraker

"Among the more eye-catching sights was that of 300,000 crimson crocheted poppies – 25,000 of them on stems – spread out like a carpet in front of the Royal Hospital. The project started humbly with just 120 poppies to “plant” on Remembrance Day by two Australian women whose fathers fought in the first world war. However, the project spread worldwide, resulting in the 800 sq metre installation designed by Phillip Johnson and first displayed in Melbourne on Anzac Day in 2015."

article and video clip

Moonraker

I am sorry to have to add this to my "pointless "100th Commemorations List" joining many others including the proposal for a 450 mile remembrance path and the shrouded figures of the dead plus the mass gathering of WW1 re-enactors at Mailly Maillet. About time we had a dedicated thread for these I reckon. :thumbsup:

Almost forgot the couple who for reasons known only to themselves are visiting all of the graves in all of the cemeteries

, still its something to do I suppose.

Cheers

N

Yes, it does (look amazing, I mean)..

I had not thought of this, don't know why as I've adorned hats etc in the past with crochet flowers (don't mock, please - you know who you are!) But it seems there have been other smaller crochet-poppy installations and there are lots of patterns online, such as

http://www.simplycrochetmag.co.uk/2014/10/21/free-poppy-pattern-remembrance-day/

so perhaps I'll start!

Liz

• 1 month later...

I wonder whether it began in New Zealand? ... The National Army Museum there made a patriotic 'Call To Yarn' ... they asked for 18,166 crocheted poppies to be made, one for each New Zealand serviceman and woman who lost their life during the Great War - in order for them to be sewn on canvas panels, creating a work of art there.  Of course, the numbers received far exceeded the initial appeal ... and, so, the idea spread across the country.  My cousin sent me photographs of displays at the Cathedral Church of St. Mary in New Plymouth but I can't seem to attach them here :-(    Heather