Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Jutland Centenary Commemoration

rclarke

The Battle of Jutland 100th anniversary commemoration takes place on Tue 31 May. It will commence at 1330 with a parade from Palmerston Road, Southsea to the Naval War Memorial on Southsea Common.

The commemoration service starts at 1400 at the war memorial.

Rosemary

http://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/whats-on/battle-of-jutland-centenary-parade-and-ceremony-p1284761

Thanks for the reminder Rosemary. I'm moving this to Centenary Events for consistency.I'm sure a few of us will be attending.

Keith

I don't know any specific details, but there will be a short service to commemorate the Centenary at the National Memorial Arboretum on Tuesday 31st May at 10.50am.

I'm planning on going to this, and I'll let you know what it was like.

6253327716_2bca35a5de_z.jpg

Image and complete poem

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/6253327716

By Charles Causley

Mother don't watch for postie,
I shan't have time to write,
I'm off to the Battle of Jutland,
And there's no shore leave tonight.
Don't weep on the kitchen table
If a letter I don't send.
Today is the Battle of Jutland
And there won't be a make and mend.

Who are all those swimmers
Knocking on our bulkhead,
Gazing face-down at their fortunes
On the stone sea bed?
With the ramming waters
They no longer toil.
Their breath is turned to quiet salt,
And their lungs to oil.

Suddenly around me
The Gunnery Jacks all spoke
Their terrible words of gunpowder
And sentences of smoke.
The deck blew up like a candle,
I heard the Gunner's Mate say,
It looks more like November the fifth
Than the thirty-first of May.

But the catherine wheels were made of iron,
The stars were made of steel,
And downward came a scarring rain
The sun will never heal.
Death came on like winter
Through the water-gate.
All I could do by the forecastle gun
Was stand alone, and wait.

The Battle of Jutland

HMS Chester

1916 - 2016

LEST WE FORGET

An interesting article here

The images are of Jack Cornwalls brother none exist of Jack

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3612501/Remembered-Grave-16-year-old-hero-won-Victoria-Cross-Battle-Jutland-finally-gets-protected-status-100-years-on.html

MATCHBOX HOLDER

4469467249_32f284466d_z.jpg

Back: “These colours will not run”

Spine:“For King & Country”

Front: RN Gun crew in action

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/4469467249

27203500692_3e14152f20_z.jpg

A personal account by Chief Yeoman of Signals J R Hemsted on board HMS IRON DUKE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/glosters/27024947480/in/photostream/

LEST WE FORGET

1916 - 2016

Norman

26771730904_4455b7af30_c.jpg

Jutland survivors aboard a hospital ship, there would be many with appalling burns from red hot steam coming from broken pipes or the flash of cordite as the ships guns magazines were struck by shells. The sailor 4th from the right in the back row appears to be wearing an HMS Tiger hatband if so this is what happened to her at Jutland on that fateful day/

Tiger was hit a total of 18 times during the battle, mostly by shells fired by Moltke, suffering 24 men killed and 46 wounded. The battlecruiser fired 303 shells from her main guns during the battle and is credited with one hit on Moltke and two on Von der Tann. The ship also fired 136 rounds from her 6-inch guns at the light cruiser Wiesbaden and German destroyers

An image from page 625 in Vol 2 of "I Was There"

Norman

Just out of interest if anyone went to a Jutland Commemoration can they post images here please. I watched the one from Scotland for about 30 mins which for me was enough though the personal stories were the best and it went downhill from then on.

N

I was reading earlier that Grey Point Fort 'fired' their 6" gun to commemorate the anniversary of the Battle of Jutland.

There are three 6" guns also at batteries on the Shetlands, be rather nice if they were 'fired' perhaps to commemorate the anniversary of the Armistice in 2019.

Are there any other coastal batteries with guns in situ?

I don't know any specific details, but there will be a short service to commemorate the Centenary at the National Memorial Arboretum on Tuesday 31st May at 10.50am.

I'm planning on going to this, and I'll let you know what it was like.

I did attend this service, and it was very good.

it was a pretty normal service with no real differences to the usual, although one "omission" was that the Kohima Epitaph wasn't said, which is, I think, a first for me. The service was lead by Revd. Tim Flowers CF, who is, I think, a Methodist Minister in Tamworth. It was followed by an brief explanation of the Battle, by The Lord's Prayer and a reading from John Chapter 15, Verses 10 to 17. The standard Act of Remembrance (with the change detailed above) followed with the Last Post and Reveille being played by a lady trumpeter from the Police. These were followed by Prayers of Intercession and we then sang "The day thou gavest, Lord is ended", and the service was concluded by a Blessing.

There was a decent crowd - probably around 60 to 70 including quite a few NMA staff. It took place in the new Naval Services Memorial and this is quite impressive. I'm glad that I attended, although as my camera's batteries decided to expire just before the service, sadly I haven't any images that I can post!