Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fuel shortages in France

nigelcave

Now air traffic controllers and train personnel seem to be reacting against the new Labour laws.... more disruption ahead of France emptying of the French in August.....

You'd think they don't want tourists, wouldn't you.....

All this just as the French economy is apparently showing signs of life.

On the matter of the French character, there is often a conflation of French people and Parisians, not always exactly the same thing. Parisians are notorious for occasional displays of a very brazen arrogance, and they can be rude and dismissive. A very recent story concerned someone without any French in a Parisian bakery trying to order a sandwich, and when she did so, hesitantly and awkwardly, in English, the shop assistant snapped at her (in perfect English) 'Speak French!'.

Never had a single problem with the French in the 40 plus years have been going there, always made most welcome and find most will go the extra mile for us!

Tony

I expect it's me then.

But the subject of the thread suggests otherwise.

I recall 'les evenements' in May 1968. Current situation is not a replay yet! However put back planned visit until September, should cover possible eventualities.

Old Tom

I find the French like any other nationality a mix of peoples, many if not all are friendly and helpful, and I say that having worked on and off in Paris for some years. However perhaps the following anecdote may help to explain the current situation, and at least part of the French psyche. Driving, with my French secretary down a particulary bumpy cobbled street I said "Why on earth don't you get rid of all these cobbles" her answer was " Good heavens no, we never know when we might need them".

I last filled the petrol can I use to fill my mower/strimmer was in September 2015. It's working fine. Maybe they make a better grade of petrol in Wiltshire.

I must check out the oil refinery in Wiltshire

Never had a single problem with the French ... most will go the extra mile for us!

Tony

Kilometre. :whistle:

I don't think you would have any problem there David, or French fiends would would not put up with that.

TR

French fiends would would not put up with that.

TR

Yay!! Say it like it is, Terry!

I last filled the petrol can I use to fill my mower/strimmer was in September 2015. It's working fine. Maybe they make a better grade of petrol in Wiltshire.

I fill a jerrican with petrol for my chain saw every couple of years and I don't have any trouble with it.

All this just as the French economy is apparently showing signs of life.

On the matter of the French character, there is often a conflation of French people and Parisians, not always exactly the same thing. Parisians are notorious for occasional displays of a very brazen arrogance, and they can be rude and dismissive. A very recent story concerned someone without any French in a Parisian bakery trying to order a sandwich, and when she did so, hesitantly and awkwardly, in English, the shop assistant snapped at her (in perfect English) 'Speak French!'.

Parisians bear relationship to the French as Londoners bear relation to the English. That is, none.

After 40+ years here I have no problems at all with the French. They get fed up with tourists who assume they can carry on as though they are at home (and in ways they wouldn't dream of doing at home), but anyone who makes an effort to speak French is welcome.

Dare I mention a certain part of the British population who say that foreigners don't make an effort to integrate. Look through the other end of the telescope.

My wife and I have marvellous French friends and find it difficult to walk through the village for being stopped by people we know.

I totally agree with healdav's comments. We have found exactly the same in this part of France, although only being here less than four years.

Also, there are a number of French people who are members of this forum, all of whom are always helpful with their knowledge and advice. If I were one of them I would find some of the comments in this thread extremely offensive. Perhaps some apologies are due?

John

What we are noticing is that French people increasingly want to practice their English on us - in a perfectly pleasant way. When we go to France we expect to speak French and we want to speak French. We need to practice our French. And it seems polite to try. We've been going to France and, in particular, Alsace several times a year for years and until the past two years or so, no-one ever tried to speak English to us. Suddenly lots of people from patisserie sales staff to police officers wish to try out their English. What's happening? Even the French food magazine I get every month is peppered with English words: tomatoes are described as stars de la saison, there are recipes for le Welsh rarebit, le carrot cake and even le curry cake.

While I don't much mind being part of someone's education, it does my head in! I'm thinking or reading something in French, then someone talks to me in English of varying accuracy, and then I can't make sense of anything in either English or French. It's even worse if it's a sentence with the two languages mixed up together. "The kougelhopf is neuf euros cinquante please." C'est the honey de châtaignes."

Maybe this is the Anglicisation which has been feared for some years.

I totally agree with healdav's comments. We have found exactly the same in this part of France, although only being here less than four years.

Also, there are a number of French people who are members of this forum, all of whom are always helpful with their knowledge and advice. If I were one of them I would find some of the comments in this thread extremely offensive. Perhaps some apologies are due?

John

well, I am one of those ! I find reading your reactions very interesting. May I add (as a French) : it is a pity that many (most ?) French consider themselves the better ones who have to 'guide' the world. You know, LA révolution, LA liberté & so on ...

And many spik anglish as a spanish cow (this to be read wizz a french accent !) :glare:

• Admin

What we are noticing is that French people increasingly want to practice their English on us - in a perfectly pleasant way. When we go to France we expect to speak French and we want to speak French. We need to practice our French. And it seems polite to try. We've been going to France and, in particular, Alsace several times a year for years and until the past two years or so, no-one ever tried to speak English to us. Suddenly lots of people from patisserie sales staff to police officers wish to try out their English. What's happening? Even the French food magazine I get every month is peppered with English words: tomatoes are described as stars de la saison, there are recipes for le Welsh rarebit, le carrot cake and even le curry cake.

While I don't much mind being part of someone's education, it does my head in! I'm thinking or reading something in French, then someone talks to me in English of varying accuracy, and then I can't make sense of anything in either English or French. It's even worse if it's a sentence with the two languages mixed up together. "The kougelhopf is neuf euros cinquante please." C'est the honey de châtaignes."

Maybe this is the Anglicisation which has been feared for some years.

Last time we were in France I noticed a lot of the television was Franglais. A lot more than in the recent past

I must add something, as I live in the Somme : around the battlefields, there are now many (B&B), owned by British, who don't speak a single word of French ... is it, as we say in French (!!) le merchandising ?

And : very near to my home, there is a château (Warsy) ; former owner (won't give the name here) did rather a lot to remember the past wars. Then he sold the château (LA crise !). Where was the château advertised ? Only in English websites ! And now it is again in English hands ... look here : http://www.manoradventure.com/chateau-de-warsy.php

I had offered my help to the former owners, never got an answer. In the Summer, I'll try to contact the owners now - because I want to see the inside !

Sorry for that rather 'anti-English' bit !

martine

just goes to show, last time we were there we could only get French programmes, previously we watched Greys anatomy in English, now its in French. only difference is the TV has changed , we had to get a new digital one :( .

as for fuel, my bikes are always a pain to start, Ive got half a dozen 5 and 20litre cans full of dead fuel. the worst thing is the water in the tank brought in by the ethanol. Ive got one tank that now leaks from stored fuel. I have had a bike of my sons that leaked through the paint , rusted from the inside.

we are English, have a house in France, don't speak French, our direct neighbours don't speak English, but we get along with nods and waves. the people we have had to contact, oil suppliers, vets, plumber, electric shop and brico all very helpful

John

My remarks were measured and I see no need to apologise. I am sure French individuals are much as any other, but collectively they have caused all sorts of complications, harassment and expense to many Brits wishing to visit or transit through their country such as I have never experienced anywhere else in 50 years of European driving, working and holidaying.

This experience includes a total of over 12 years [in three tours] in Germany, and many many swings through, and stays in, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Holland, Austria, Switzerland and Italy.

Think Ferry port blockades, travelling road blocks, child thieves at Paris rail stations, Air Traffic Control strikes, inability/unwillingness to adequately police the Channel Tunnel ...............

France is also the only country where I have been robbed [Mur des Fusilees] and where I have had a Fawlty Towers hotel from hell [Albert]

Just back. Visited Vimy, Somme, Ypres and the dreaded Euro Disney. Never saw any sign of industrial action and our coach was able to refuel with no difficulty.

Trip went well despite torrential rain at Euro Disney. However enough is enough and now four years after I retired from teaching I am making that my last tour with my old school. Hopefully my younger colleagues will continue the annual tradition.

Len

This : http://penurie.mon-essence.fr/w/ may be useful for travellers (there is an 'App' too, for your mobile phone) : you can enlarge and see where there is lack of fuel (Diesel or normal) ; it is said that 29,4 % are in total or partial lack of fuel. Of course, it is 'in real time'.