Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fuel shortages in France

nigelcave

From the Foreign Office today

Latest update: Summary - following industrial action (blockades of fuel depots), fuel purchasing restrictions have been put in place by local authorities in some parts of France; in certain areas you may not be able to fill up jerrycans, and fuel rationing may be imposed; some petrol stations may have run out of some types of fuel

The usual guff from the Foreign Office. Nothing you can't find out from the papers, radio and TV.

For the moment at least the government seems to be standing firm, and are trying to stop the blockades. Last night on the TV news there were some intimations that the blockade will extend to the ports as they are now trying to stop oil tankers getting in (it has dawned on the strikers that a lot of fuel is brought into France ready refined).

I'm off southwards on Saturday, so I have just bought a jerrican to take an extra 10 litres. Heaven knows what it will be like when I get down to the coast.

The Foreign Office Advice as you say is useless - based on weather forecasting "Dry but perhaps with some rain at times" pretty well covers it.

A lot of ferries don't allow jerry cans, The Tunnel does.

• Admin

Might have to reconsider my July motorcycle holiday if this carries on

The Foreign Office Advice as you say is useless - based on weather forecasting "Dry but perhaps with some rain at times" pretty well covers it.

Are we really expecting the FCO to be more specific? I think their advice is sound (copied below). What more can they do, list all those filling stations that have all types of fuel available and are not rationing it? What they say is correct.

Following industrial action (blockades of fuel depots), fuel purchasing restrictions have been put in place by local authorities in some parts of France. In certain areas you may not be able to fill up jerrycans, and fuel rationing may be imposed. Some petrol stations may have run out of some types of fuel.

I was restricted to 30 Euros worth of diesel at the Aire de Souchez motorway services immediately north of Vimy Ridge on Sunday when returning from a trip. More than enough to get me back to the UK. Not too helpful though if travelling south into France.

MartH, on 25 May 2016 - 10:58 AM, said:

Brittany Ferries doesn't allow petrol in containers but it allows up to 5 litres of diesel.

(Info from their Twitter feed this morning.)

I spent Monday and Tuesday on the Somme, filled up at Dover early morning on the way out, and again late last night on the way back. Didn't need to broach the Jerrycan The same lady cashier was on duty, though she assured me she had been home inbetween my visits!

On Monday the petrol station on the Roman road as you drop down into Albert was closed and cordoned off when I went into the town to pick up a sandwich, but was open, with queues, as I drove back out 40 mins later. I gues they had received a delivery.

I was just passing on the message. It's up to the individual how much notice they take.

Don't tell them.

Are we really expecting the FCO to be more specific? I think their advice is sound (copied below). What more can they do, list all those filling stations that have all types of fuel available and are not rationing it? What they say is correct.

Following industrial action (blockades of fuel depots), fuel purchasing restrictions have been put in place by local authorities in some parts of France. In certain areas you may not be able to fill up jerrycans, and fuel rationing may be imposed. Some petrol stations may have run out of some types of fuel.

They coulld have mentioned that there is a website - https://mon-essence.fr/blog/2016/05/19/penurie-de-carburant/ which shows all the filling stations that are closed in real time But that would have been useful, and, shock horror, not official (recounted to some diplomat - not a vice consul, by some French diplomat).

The FCO does mention the website in its updated travel advice. They also tweeted it.

"Following industrial action .... Some petrol stations may have run out of some types of fuel. The Mon-essence.fr website has produced a map developed from data supplied by users of its mobile app to help motorists identify petrol stations where fuel is not available."

Thanks Gwyn ;)

I notice that some petrol stations to the west of Belgium, particularly near motorways, are also running short. pop seems to be OK, tho'.

I can understand the viewpoint that everyone rushing off to fill their cars will inevitably cause a problem; but who would not take the opportunity to fill up if they happened to spot a garage selling the stuff in such circumstances?

Euro 16 Football Tournament starts on 10th June.

Should be interesting.

Euro 16 Football Tournament starts on 10th June.

Should be interesting.

Why? Are they oil powered?

Well I head into the lions den tomorrow. Hopefully the coach driver/ company have a plan as we usually have to fill up the coach in France before heading back to Scotland. If I get stuck somewhere with a coach load of pupils and no diesel the parents will scream for my head on the other hand if I cancel at the last minute they will scream for my head. Great fun eh?

Len

Thanks for that info John.

Len

I filled up in Ypres last night and then topped up this afternoon in Amiens, at the first garage I came across (Leclerc at Rivery). There, you could buy as much diesel as you like (but no cans to be filled) and they had no petrol. The queues weren't as bad as I had anticipated.

I will be topping up daily if I see a garage with diesel as the situatio could get worse at very short notice. On the other hand, supplies could be back to normal just as quickly.

Thanks Ken,

all info greatly welcomed. In Ypres on Sunday. Will fill up with diesel there before unfortunately long detour into France on Monday before heading to Calais on Tuesday morning. Obviously will take every opportunity to top up.

Len

I'm heading down to the south of France on Saturday. I have (illegally) bought a 10 litre jerrican for extra diesel.

Most of the stations I normally got to on the way seem to have run out. And on the Cote d'Azur the signs are all bright red (nothing at all).

Great fun.

A friend is the South near Spain says people are driving there to get fuel its so scarce.

from Eurotunnels web site.

"The media is reporting fuel shortages in certain locations in France. The motorway service stations have fuel supplies as well as the Total station on the exit from our French terminal."