Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Records

Curtis

Good Day:

My great uncle died at CSS #30 on 28 Sept, 28 1918 - what kind of records are there, and where could I find them?

Curtis

Hi,

It would depend on his nationality. Some countries personnel files contain medical information but some don't.

It would help members if you posted his full name and service details.

Good Luck

Steve Y

The diary for 30 CCS will cost £3.45 for August 1915 to May 1919. It's a very small download for that time period so maybe pretty limited.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/1898e5c21fa342b280d49c81ab6b1f53

More than likely the diary will only give a table or list of quantity of men coming in and going out per week or by day if busy.

If they're not busy there is a very very slim chance he might be named but given the diary is only 27Mb it's not looking good.

There's no surviving admission or discharges for that CCS.

His service record might survive and be on ancestry or findmypast.

Name / number / regiment??

TEW

Hi

New to all this so please bare with me.

Pte William Arthur Johnson, 11th Field Ambulance, Canada, regiment number 531668 died 28 Sept, 1918.

The 'medical record' lists three admissions I think the last being CSS 30 with just a diagnosis of GSW which now means gun shot wound. I know he was hit by a machine gun.

For the information of other forum members the OP started an almost simultaneous second topic with regards to his relatives Military Medal award.

Forum member Graeme Clarke posted a link on that topic to the Canadian service record held at LAC Ottawa. All surviving medical papers should be in that file.

Steve Y

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=4909-23

Good Day:

Downloaded the record of CCS 30 - thanks for the link!

There is nothing about my great uncle, however the location of the CCS is confirmed, so now I am sure where he died.

Very interesting, there is of course a note about 11 Nov Armistice. The 12th of November, an entry of an attack at 10:56 (not sure if it was the day before or the 12th), 75 men injured, mostly cavalry. Could this have been the 12th? or 5 minutes before the end of war, either way the decision to attack borders on the criminal.

Final comment for November was that the influenza was under control, that worked out well.

Officially closed in May 1919.